Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

13 Rubicon Unlimited vs 09 sahara unlimited

Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 Rubicon Unlimited vs 09 sahara unlimited

I have a question that I'd like some input on from some avid jeepers. I have a babied Sahara 09. Just started going off road and modifying it. Minor mods, things I could do that didn't cost too much dough. I want to really start off roading with it. Nothing major, but I was thinking of trading it in for a 2013 rubicon. Am I being stupid? I love my jeep now. It has never giving me any problems. I have 48k miles on it. I did say I babied it. Lol. Any input would be appreciated. It's been lifted and the stealers hip said they would put my rims and tires on it for me. To be honest I was going to paint it a different color until I found out how much that would be. So I am stuck in a conundrum so to say.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

It all depends on how much you would get for your current model and if you get a good deal on the new one, in own the 3.6 and love it, if it is attainable financially then I'd say go for it but there is going to be. Refresh in 2015, possibly a diesel coming out soon so is keep my eyes peeled for that one
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

That's a tuff question. It would be nice to know if you could transfer your lift as well. I think that if you have the money to do it, it is a no brainer. But, at the same time you have done a little improvement so far, I had this dilemma with my jeep and I decided to keep it and continue modding it. I am so happy with that decision, plus it is nice to see my payoff dwindle each month.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Every stealership I have spoken to said they will let me keep my tires and rims. Quite from Carmax was $22k, kbb has it at 25. A new rubicon out the door is $37kish? So technically I could get them down and finance 13k? Is that unrealistic? I don't know.

By the way I love this site. It has brought new meaning to my life. Lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Dont do it based on your EGO. You have a great Jeep that Im sure will go almost anywhere you want it to. If you have the cash and really just want something new to work on, then sure, go ahead. I just hate seeing people that feel as though if they dont have a Rubi or the latest and greatest, then they are missing something. Ive been though some sloopy trails with my Jeep, but never needed the lockers or even the low range. I know some would say those trails must not have been that bad, but Im sure they would have stuck most any 4x4 out there other then a Jeep. A Jeep with good tires is an AWESOME machine, and when we start thinking the Sports and Saharas are not up to snuff, then we are just nitpicking some really fine lines.

I feel as though you would really start to miss your Jeep if you traded it. I could be wrong, the motor in the new ones is much better.

Im pretty sure this didnt help.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knight1000
Dont do it based on your EGO. You have a great Jeep that Im sure will go almost anywhere you want it to. If you have the cash and really just want something new to work on, then sure, go ahead. I just hate seeing people that feel as though if they dont have a Rubi or the latest and greatest, then they are missing something. Ive been though some sloopy trails with my Jeep, but never needed the lockers or even the low range. I know some would say those trails must not have been that bad, but Im sure they would have stuck most any 4x4 out there other then a Jeep. A Jeep with good tires is an AWESOME machine, and when we start thinking the Sports and Saharas are not up to snuff, then we are just nitpicking some really fine lines.

I feel as though you would really start to miss your Jeep if you traded it. I could be wrong, the motor in the new ones is much better.

Im pretty sure this didnt help.
Makes sense. Good post.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Like what others have mentioned if you are okay financially then go for it. Did you test drive a '13 yet? When I test drove the '12 Rubi, I fell in love with the new 5speed trans and the new motor and this is a guy who had a '08 JKU running 35s with 5.13 gearing. See below, my signature will show you the mods I had on my '08 and have done to my '12. When 2015 comes around, I will see what the diesel has to offer and when the time comes, my '12 will be paid off, so I could either keep that or sell it and get the 2015 if it lives up to its hype...

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantfootballs
I have a question that I'd like some input on from some avid jeepers. I have a babied Sahara 09. Just started going off road and modifying it. Minor mods, things I could do that didn't cost too much dough. I want to really start off roading with it. Nothing major, but I was thinking of trading it in for a 2013 rubicon. Am I being stupid? I love my jeep now. It has never giving me any problems. I have 48k miles on it. I did say I babied it. Lol. Any input would be appreciated. It's been lifted and the stealers hip said they would put my rims and tires on it for me. To be honest I was going to paint it a different color until I found out how much that would be. So I am stuck in a conundrum so to say.

Thanks.
Man....you sound exactly like me. 2009 Sahara JKU and all, similar milleage. I baby the heck out of her also. Here's what I'm thinking, since you do sound a lot like me. I would love to get a 2013 Rubi with the new engine, and go all out on it for off road use. In fact, just yesterday I stopped by the Jeep dealer after hours and was checking out the 2013's. However, you know if you got a 2013 you would be too afraid to take it off road right away. "You might damage your brand new baby!!" So you'll find yourself in a new dilemma and I'm willing to bet you will talk yourself out of risking taking your new baby off road for at least another 2+ years.

So, I say wheel your 2009 Sahara, get a winch and don't be afraid to get stuck, so you know what next mod you need. You don't need a Rubi to go off road.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-07-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

These forums are the best place in cyberspace. Lol. Talked to my buddy in my hood that said he'd help with any mods. Think I am gonna keep the 09. Baptized her yesterday. Responded very well. Lol. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Giantfootballs

Thanks.
the new motor is major difference! We built 2007 to upgrade to the 2012. It was worth it for us.

Quick Reply: 13 Rubicon Unlimited vs 09 sahara unlimited