Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bestop Safari Top Problems

Old 04-13-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bestop Safari Top Problems

Got in the Bestop Header Safari top a couple days ago for our two door JK. finally got to install it today because we needed to run into town with some potential rain showers coming.

The install went ok. It sure shouldn't be a challenge to put a safari too on given it's nature--it needs to be quicker and easier than the factory soft top, for sure!

Well, it's probably not. It's rather awkward and I think I could put the actual soft top on quicker!

Anyway, the instructions have you clip the back two straps to the rail, which in my case is covered by Bestop's own Duster Cover. So apparently the Bestop Safari top is incompatible with Bestop's own Duster, which seems pretty foolish in design.

Oh well. I tried my best in a couple configurations to tie the back straps elsewhere--to the seat belts seemed the best--but no matter what I tried the top would blow audibly crack as the fabric snapped in the wind like a bullwhip. Terrible and super loud!

I was hesitant to cinch the straps up much tighter as they seemed to be very poorly attached. Pretty crumby quality here.

Needless to say I'm returning this thing. It's been the second Bestop product I've had to return as it was just piss-poor in design and use. (Had to return a cab cover that fit terribly, but the Duater is actually quite nice)

So to the question--is there a much higher quality safari top out there? One that doesn't use the rear rails covered when a "Duster" or tonneau-type cover is on? This thing is not cutting it.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Got in the Bestop Header Safari top a couple days ago for our two door JK. finally got to install it today because we needed to run into town with some potential rain showers coming.

The install went ok. It sure shouldn't be a challenge to put a safari too on given it's nature--it needs to be quicker and easier than the factory soft top, for sure!

Well, it's probably not. It's rather awkward and I think I could put the actual soft top on quicker!

Anyway, the instructions have you clip the back two straps to the rail, which in my case is covered by Bestop's own Duster Cover. So apparently the Bestop Safari top is incompatible with Bestop's own Duster, which seems pretty foolish in design.

Oh well. I tried my best in a couple configurations to tie the back straps elsewhere--to the seat belts seemed the best--but no matter what I tried the top would blow audibly crack as the fabric snapped in the wind like a bullwhip. Terrible and super loud!

I was hesitant to cinch the straps up much tighter as they seemed to be very poorly attached. Pretty crumby quality here.

Needless to say I'm returning this thing. It's been the second Bestop product I've had to return as it was just piss-poor in design and use. (Had to return a cab cover that fit terribly, but the Duater is actually quite nice)

So to the question--is there a much higher quality safari top out there? One that doesn't use the rear rails covered when a "Duster" or tonneau-type cover is on? This thing is not cutting it.
Naw you should have the safari top then the spiderweb shade then safari straps net then then duster... Yeah that will work.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sand Scorpion
Naw you should have the safari top then the spiderweb shade then safari straps net then then duster... Yeah that will work.
Haha seriously. I was planning on getting a Spiderwebshade anyway, but of course it's not rain resistant.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Is there a better quality brand out there?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Is there a better quality brand out there?
I run the Mopar Sun Bonnet with the Duster on a four door. More expensive, but over the years it has always received more favorable comments than the Bestop on this forum. It does cost more, but the header bar is included. Want the kicker? Bestop makes it for Chrysler!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I run the Mopar Sun Bonnet with the Duster on a four door. More expensive, but over the years it has always received more favorable comments than the Bestop on this forum. It does cost more, but the header bar is included. Want the kicker? Bestop makes it for Chrysler!
Ha! Well, I will say the Bestop fabric is quite nice, but the straps and overall design is weak. I'll have to check the Mopar version out. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

My current half-assed solution to make it bearable. Racket strap, baby!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1498552926.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	545784  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having trouble with mine as well. It is on an '07 2dr. The rear straps do go around the upper seatbelt point on the roll bar, so it doesn't interfere with a duster cover. However, mine has these odd 6 inch triangular pleats just behind the windshield which leave a huge hole for water to pour directly into the front floorboards...Does anyone know why the pleats are even there? It also bothers me that the top doesn't even successfully cover the rear seat. You would still get direct overhead sun in the backseat. Waiting on a response from the company as we speak...

Quick Reply: Bestop Safari Top Problems