Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying new jeep

Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new jeep

I need strong opinions please, will it be a pain in the arse of replacing manual clutch parts? I have option if i want to have automatic for grand extra or manual for zero dollars. I drive manual clutch in my tj now. Will automatic save me stress longer down the road from replacing more parts?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had zero issues with my 07 manual trans...as long as you're not harsh on your gear, you will be fine. Stick is just more fun to drive anyway, I'd say save the $$.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

How much different is the clutch from a tj? Is the clutch smooth on the jk, the TJ sounds like im driving a Semi-trailer truck, those big trucks the sound vrooom.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty damn smooth for a Jeep. Go test drive one if you can.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

X2 on the test drive. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch is on the soft side for comfort in my opinion. I had a few sports cars in the
Past and I like the stiffer clutch feel better. One thing that is really cool is the hill assist on the manual trans. No more rollingback you can press the clutch in all the way on a hill and it won't roll back. It's awesome!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I saved 11k buying a used model with 16k miles. Full warranty just as if I was the original owner. We could tell it was a pavement princess before we had it.

My '07 was a stick and I was looking for another manual trans. The deal was so good, with 3.99%, I have to admit the auto trans has grown on me.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much of an auto fan. All ive ever owned were manual transmissions and ive only had to change out a clutch once at 140k miles.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got both '12 manual and '12 auto both 2 doors. Love my Auto, not a fan of my Manual. I love a manual in a sports car, not so much in the jeep. I don't like the shifter bouncing around, I don't like the fact that it smells like I've toasted the clutch each time I back up into my driveway. When the 8 speed auto comes out, my manual is history. People say they can feel the road more.....blaahhhh.... I find myself hot rod'ing around more with the manual, and I'm a much more civil laid back easy going driver in my Auto. My tires love the Auto much more too. And I hate the manual on bumpy trails. Always looking for a gear. I don't enjoy the trail nearly as much. But when I get my Vette you can damn well be assured it will be a manual.

Quick Reply: Buying new jeep