Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?
Yes - Someone damaged my soft top
23.81%
No - Never
42.86%
Don't own/use a soft top
33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Curious, how many folks have had...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious, how many folks have had...

a soft top damaged by thieves or by envious , invidious natured folks?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am curious to see the outcome of this. I have the dual top on mine and only plan on using the soft top a few months a year.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Current JK has a hardtop so I'm good, but my previous Jeep had the soft top windows slashed for whatever reason...???
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No
And I probably just jinxed it !
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. I parked it in the city, in a well-traveled area one night. I was going to a bar. I left the doors unlocked and removed everything because having the top cut into was a concern...if a thief wanted IN, they usually try the doors first. Have at it, there's nothing inside.

I came back to the Jeep at 2am. It was raining heavily. I noticed the left side rear soft top window on the ground and the rear post hanging funny. Instead of using a zipper to break in, they grabbed hold of the window and ripped it clean off the seams, zipper and all, and they tore the seams for the rear window in the process. The back seat and floor were soaked, and the window was sitting on the ground. I was tired and wet, had nothing with me, so I drove home with a huge hole in the side of the Jeep while it was raining.

I put it in the garage when I came home, and the next day I took everything apart, cleaned up the mess and pulled the carpet. I had an upholstery shop re-sew everything and put on new zippers where they were damaged. The Jeep stayed parked for a week while all of this was going on. F*ing dumbasses...still makes me mad today. Why can't people leave other people's stuff alone?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Yeah. You just reminded me why I hate people. Normally the JK lives in the garage, but I had some crap in there prior to a mountain trip, so I parked in the driveway. Some idiot cut the plastic window completely out during the rain and winds we got from Hurricane Sandy bands. The interior was soaked. The same storm brought 18" of snow the mountain were headed to, so I needed the Jeep to get there and spent my Saturday morning driving around to Jeep dealers until I found one who would sell me the window out of one on the lot. Strange none of them had one in parts inventory.

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 12-21-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Not my current Jeep but I used to have a TJ that someone slashed the rear window and one side window. They ended up stealing anything they thought valuable. I guess unzipping a window is too difficult for simple minded people who steal for a living. Then to top it off, the cop that showed up was giving me shit about owning a jeep and suggesting that it's not practical.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately no soft top damage but I have found all kinds of garbage in my Jeep after parking somewhere with top down... For ex. sandwich crusts, empty drink containers, fast food bags?!?
I don't get it?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Have both hard & soft, but the soft top stays in the garage. Might never have a problem, but don't want too worry about it.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Back in '97 I had someone slit the soft top on an Isuzu Amigo. If I still had a soft top today and it had to be outside, I'd just leave the doors unlocked.

Quick Reply: Curious, how many folks have had...