Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree

Old 11-24-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree

A buddy and I are thinking about doing the Drummond Island Michigan Jambo in June 08. We have a few questions for anyone who has been there, or has been on a Jambo at all.

I guess the most obvious question is will my stock JK handle the trail and will it get beat up?

Is the $250 or so per person worth it?

To save some cash, can we just camp out up there?

Oh, and lastly, does anyone else here plan on attending?

Thanks !!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've never been to a Jambo up there, but have been there on several occasions. There is not much up there that a stock rig can't handle. Most of the island is a big rock with some dirt over it. Not sure what trails the Jambo runs, but most trails are pretty flat with bowling ball size rocks in the ground. It will toss you around pretty good. There is one stair climb, Marble head that can be challenging, but due to politics and the DNR, I am not sure if it will be on limits next year, it is not legal right now. There are a few mudholes, the clay pits and the log jam that can be pretty nasty at times. But nobody is ever going to leave you stuck out there. It is a pretty place to go and very unique.

If you have spare time, go to the north edge of the island over towards the east. If you get out on the beach, you'll find lots of fossils in the rocks.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I am thinking of going, if I ever get my Jeep, but I looked on the website today and it states that it is sold out. This may be the 2007 event though.

I was going to go to it in 99 when I had my TJ, but wound up having to cancel.

I was looking at the price too, but I don't know what you are getting for the money.

I would be up for putting a weekend together and having a group just go up and hit the trails.

Where in MI are you from?

Last edited by 08UnlimitedSahara810; 11-24-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in down town Grand Blanc. Looks like the "sold out" dates are for 2007', 2008 sign up starts Dec 1, it's says it's $265 per person.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08xheap
I'm in down town Grand Blanc. Looks like the "sold out" dates are for 2007', 2008 sign up starts Dec 1, it's says it's $265 per person.
What Jeep do you drive? Are you the Rescue Green on Center? I also live in Grand Blanc at Hill and Center.

Maybe a stupid question, but do they have gas stations on Drmmond Island?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

That would be me.

It looks like the island has hotels, I know some people who take their sleds up there every year, so I would say so. It's probably $5.00 a gallon, but I'm sure they have it. Here is their site.

http://www.drummondislandchamber.com/index.html
Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Small world!

I am on Hill east of Center in the Heather Hill sub.

I would like to go to the Jamboree. We can caravan up there.

Let's hook up for some local trips too!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like a plan!

I would be interested to hear if anyone has anything else to add about Drummond Island, or the Jeep Jambo in general.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can get more info: w w w . g l f w d a . o r g, mostly michigan people, some participate as spotters and guides for the Jambo. I think (Steve?) who owns a restaurant on Drummond and is a Jeeper is on that site from time to time and knows all the current stuff on the island.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

I might also be interested in attending next year. I definitely would like to get at least a lift and tires first. My father has been up there twice for his Land Rover club. They go up there every year. There was a big shakedown least year with the DNR and citations were being handed out left and right. I'd have to talk to him, but there were a bunch of "unhappy campers."

Quick Reply: Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree