Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Field mouse was in my engine

Old 01-03-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any particular brand of Dryer sheets ?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic friend of mine said grate a half of bar of Irish spring in a paper plate. Put it under the passenger seat. Car will smell Manley too. He works on a lot of collector cars for guys who store several in barns and such.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a stowaway mouse a few years ago that I picked up on a beach in California and it traveled with me all the way to Washington, because I couldn't get it out. It had built an extensive nest in the glove compartment, heater ducts, and the air filter box, so check those and clean it all out good before it starts to reek.

To avoid entry to the air filter box, I cut a small rectangle-shaped piece of 1/4" wire mesh, and folded the edges down around the air intake. This has prevented any re-entry there.

A small live trap with a tiny bit of peanut butter way at the back finally caught the little bugger. I had to leave the trap out on the passenger floor overnight for a couple of nights. The only thing worse than a mouse in your Jeep is a dead mouse in your Jeep!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

I hate when critters get into a vehicle. had a mouse in my old jku. Dealership damaged the tailgate and it sat for a while at the bodyshop to get fixed. I picked it up and brought it home, found some chewed up firewall insulation in my new jeep.
I put some rat poision in a tray in the engine compartment. Next day found the mouse dead on the ground next to the jeep.
I didnt think it would be much of a problem, but for the next 35k miles I had random electrical problems about 10 times. I ended up trading it in because I didnt trust the wiring anymore.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lre
Dryer sheets in the glove compartment sound a lot better than moth balls. Thanks.
Agree'd!!!!!
Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to have to try the dryer sheets. I see chewed up acorns and such on my battery tray and on/under the intake. Found some wadded up paper and tissues behind the glove box. No droppings tho.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:52 AM
lre
JK Newbie

Let us know if it works. I will do the same. I also put some mothballs under the hood for added protection while the car is parked for an extended period.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Peppermint extract works very well . Critters hate it .
Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 PM
lre
JK Newbie

I have heard about that. I bought a natural rodent repellant that included peppermint oil. Have you had success with a particular brand of extract?
Old 01-30-2017, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in AZ I have a big problem with pack rats. Moth balls didn't do it, drier sheets or peppermint. I have four vehicles parked outside (two are Jeeps) and had those little Rid-a- Rat strobe lights installed. Then I bought some strobe lights that you you can screw into a lamp for Halloween. I have them on a timer with extension cords under each vehicle. They light up the whole parking area and no problem with neighbors as I am on three acres. So far no more problem. I have had to repair damage eight times, they can do thousands of dollars in damage.

Quick Reply: Field mouse was in my engine