Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Headlight Feature?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Feature?

So driving to school this morning it was foggy beyond belief, so naturally I turned on my headlights and fogs.. Just a courtesy so other drivers could see me sooner. When I parked at school I forgot to turn my lights off, and did not realize this until I walked back to my Jeep after class (6.5 hours later). Realizing I did this about 50 feet from my Jeep and thinking my battery was dead and I wouldn't be able to start it, I remote started it, and sure enough it started right up. Does the Jeep have something that turns the lights off after a certain amount of time to save the battery? Or am I missing something here. Shouldn't my battery have died and not allowed me to start it?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I found.

"Exterior Lamp Fail-Safe Operation - The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) provide a fail-safe feature which will automatically turn ON the low beam headlamps and all park lamps when the ignition switch is in the ON position and there is no detected input from the headlamp switch, or when there is no communication over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data.

Exterior Lamp Load Shedding - The TIPM provides a battery saver feature which will automatically turn OFF all exterior lamps that remain ON with the ignition switch in the LOCK position after a timed interval of about eight minutes."
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea anytime I have left my lights on they shut off automatically.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The computer load-sheds so you won't run down the battery.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

So I am not meaning to high jack your thread! But, has anyone else noticed the head lights flicker when you spin out? I was driving to work the other morning and ran into some slick spots (ive tried to spin them on dry! not happening) But hit the spot and traction control came on and my headlights started shuttering? Dont know if this is like this in all jeeps or something else is up? Also dont know if its a notification for the drive or on coming traffic?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvy
So I am not meaning to high jack your thread! But, has anyone else noticed the head lights flicker when you spin out? I was driving to work the other morning and ran into some slick spots (ive tried to spin them on dry! not happening) But hit the spot and traction control came on and my headlights started shuttering? Dont know if this is like this in all jeeps or something else is up? Also dont know if its a notification for the drive or on coming traffic?
I've not noticed that. I'll have to check it out after dark tonight.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the headlight flicker is the draw that the ABS pump puts on the electrical system.

I've seen that happen during some ABS situations in the past...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I think the headlight flicker is the draw that the ABS pump puts on the electrical system.

I've seen that happen during some ABS situations in the past...
Most likely this. When the stability control and ABS modules kick in, they draw a lot of power. Have you seen the relays for those things?!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 AM
JK Newbie

Even the interior lights will turn off. Open your door and walk away for 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Headlight Feature?