Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hood Flutter ???

Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same zip ties on my latches now for 2 years! they work great, and for the $30 you would spend on new latches, you can have 50 years worth of zip ties!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I commute on 2 lane rural roads, 18 wheel trucks do too

The zip ties stopped hood flutter against all oncoming 18 wheelers, except one overly tall version that apparently has an exemption to the posted speed limit.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by im-ocd
I commute on 2 lane rural roads, 18 wheel trucks do too

The zip ties stopped hood flutter against all oncoming 18 wheelers, except one overly tall version that apparently has an exemption to the posted speed limit.
I had one break in a similar situation a couple years back. They don't stretch without breaking, which is why I carry a couple spares in the glove box.

As for hood spring and Daystar latches (especially the spring removal): They mostly take care of the problem. I know of one person running the Daystars here in Oklahoma who still has seen hood dance on the worst of conditions--something we seem to get a lot of around here. For most folks, either of these methods is perfectly satisfactory. There is also the Woods/Off-road Dominion solution, which is quite ingenious and which he will probably give you for free if you order anything from Off-Road Dominion and just ask ...

JeepSWAG/Off-Road Dominion Website

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-02-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is absolutley no way you're gonna get any hood movement with the Daystars,if installed properly These things are so tight, I wonder how long the plastic latch pieces are going to last.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 08yellowx
There is absolutley no way you're gonna get any hood movement with the Daystars,if installed properly These things are so tight, I wonder how long the plastic latch pieces are going to last.
I was surprised when this friend told me about it--but he is a close friend and member of this forum. I trust his word that his did bounce. Here in Oklahoma the two lane roads, 70 MPH speed limits that are ignored on occasion by semi-truck drivers, and insane crosswinds may create situations that are unusually severe. If he'd had zip-ties, it's entirely possible they would have broken.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Spring solved it for me. Even at 75-80 mph on the freeway no flutter.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 AM
jdk
JK Freak

A lot of good fixes for the problem thanks , BUT MY REAL QUESTION has anyone ever seem the hood latches fail and the hood fly up into the windshield?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spring is the way to go.
Free and Fixed.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Daystars work for me.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Daystar Instructions???

I just installed a set of Daystar Hood Wranglers. The install was easy except the pictures on the instruction sheet SUCKED!. They say to remove the pins and rubber pieces. Are they referring to the rubber pieces that get pinched between the hood and fender? I left them on but they are TIGHT. If my wife ever had to open the hood I doubt she could ever get them snapped back on.

If I remover that rubber it looks like the hood with rub against the fender. Anyone have the answer?

Quick Reply: Hood Flutter ???