Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hood Flutter ???

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmons_m
Is this issue fixed on the '10's and '11's? Or is it still an issue. I have not noticed the fluter on mine, but I have only had it for a couple of months.
Thanks
its usually not much of a problem if your jeep is not lifted and you still have the air dam, as far as the hood fliying away is not really posible, that's why the safety latch is there, to cath up the hood.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

My (at the time) stock 09 2 door's hood would flutter above 55 MPH or when a semi truck passed. Got tired of it and threw on a set of Daystar hood wranglers....flutter is gone.

I wasn't worried about the hood flying off. It was just a huge annoyance!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There is a very old thread (four years) where a fellow had a latch fail and come off at highway speeds. The safety catch caught the hood--and his underwear caught his, well, you get the idea.

There's an easy, cheap fix: Two 11" zip-ties.

There are a variety of other fixes, too. You may already know this, but if not search on "hood dance", "hood bounce", "hood flutter", etc.
'twas me!
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-Latch-Broken!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
Thank You someone finally read my question, the hood latches have failed and its not just urban myth!!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk

Thank You someone finally read my question, the hood latches have failed and its not just urban myth!!!!!
I'm hurt: I told you that in post 2. :-)
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm hurt: I told you that in post 2. :-)
Sorry you did didn't you, I over looked it just saw how everyone was telling me how to fix it.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mikach28
Daystar hood latches, $30 and the problem is solved in 5 minutes. Def a good buy if you do some highway or interstate driving.
Absolutely! I've had one latch break on my TJ before. It's not worth the risk...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live in a valley where the cross winds get extreme. Before doing the zip ties I def thought my hood was going to come up. Gust can get 100+. Turns out my latch doesn't really do its job. I have to make sure and manually move it to close.
Anyway during those gusts my hood would shutter and latches would flex extreme. I would drop 10-20 mph scared my latches would fail. No such problem. Hope I answered your question
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Daystar hood wranglers work great!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default Still does it on the '12

Originally Posted by Simmons_m
Is this issue fixed on the '10's and '11's? Or is it still an issue. I have not noticed the fluter on mine, but I have only had it for a couple of months.
Thanks
I have a 2012 and it stil does it. I live over in Delaware and it is real windy here. I do a lot of highway driving, 80 mph is my normal speed, and I get flutter all day long.

I don't see how taking the spring out will do anything. The problem is with the rubber bands stretching. I'll try out the zip tie trick today and let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Hood Flutter ???