Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How much of a suspension would u add to a daily driven JK

Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of a suspension would u add to a daily driven JK

Need help understanding how far one should take a "Daily Driver" jeep? I have a 2013 jk Rubicon and was thinking about getting a 4 inch suspension lift to fit 37's once my 35's need changing. I already changed gear ratio to 5:13's (and man does it feel good to have power back). I guess i dont know how to go about the type of suspension i should get because i am planning on doing bout 90% daily driving and rest off-road (at least for the time being). But i dont wanna get a suspension either that i am gonna want to upgrade later. If i chose to go w a 4inch long arm lift w fox reservoir shocks will that hinder my highway driving or make it better? Will it go to waste if i dont use it as often or will the suspension always be there when i need it?? I am one that always likes to be prepared instead of sorry. I would like to get into rock crawling (nothing too extreme) but like i said, would like to be ready just in case that moment arrives and u really wanna tackle that slope/hill full of uncharted rocks that everyone else is having troubles claiming! Lol. I also have a 1983 CJ-7 Laredo 4.3 L thats in great running condition(i guess not sure on which to invest for off road performance). Should i leave Rubicon as family and towing vehicle?? Or fix both and hit different trails with them?? Please help lol
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would stay on 35's and run no more then 2"of lift on a daily driver. I also would not turn a 4 door into a rock crawler. Take the cj and stretch it out and run a long arm coil over system on it with some tons and an atlas.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

What r "tons" & "atlas"? Im new to this but really interested in joining the ranks of Jeepers
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Would 3inch short arm be better just in case i wanna go off road in places that need high articulation?? Doesnt necessarily need to be on rocks. Just wanna have the freedom to go where ever trails take me. And i think u r right on the tire size, thanks for info
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Tons=heavy duty axles like from a 1 ton truck. Dana 60, ford 9", 14 bolt ect. Atlas is a transfer case made by advanced adapters that allow for independent front and rear hi/low operations.
You should just go out with the cj and get some seat time, join a group or club and get to know about jeeps, suspensions, and how to drive off road. You are not going to learn much from reading forums. Time in the seat is the most important part of off roading.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Makes sense! Thanks Man
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The less you do to the suspension the better off you will be. Adding lift does nothing to increase your articulation. Adding 3" coils to your jeep is no different then running the stock coils. Total articulation will remain the same. You are just taking available down travel and moving it to your up travel. You are also lowering your roll center so your jeep will be more unstable in off camber situations and at high speed during cornering.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

So w a 2" lift my 35's wont rub while off road?
Been reading on lift kits and was leaning towards rubicon express, pro comp, or rock krawler and adding the fox shocks. I also noticed after changing tires to 35's that tires shake a lot more (probably in the front) after going through bumps. . . .is that normal and what can i do to help
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

rubicon express, pro comp, rough country, bds, zone are all companies that sell incomplete lifts or use short cuts like drop pitman arms to try and correct things that lifts screw up.
Proper wheel back spacing and bump stops will keep things from rubbing. Flat fenders will give you more room for up travel and larger tires without adding lift.

There is so much to suspensions that learning on a forum is extremely difficult. Moving things like shock mounts and control arm locations can do more for increasing performance then increasing lift. Remember this suspension and steering system is a geometric equation of links and angles that become out of spec the moment you change one of them. Most of the links under your jeep have no adjustment to them and once you get over about 2" of lift things need to be adjusted to compensate for the added height. at 3.5"+ the steering gets pretty messy. And to top it all off your caster becomes an issue that is a balance of steering feel and driveline vibrations. Remember too adding all the lift in the world will not give you any more ground clearance under your axles.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

What r you currently running on your jeep if u dont mind me asking

Quick Reply: How much of a suspension would u add to a daily driven JK