Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I need help choosing axle shafts, please help

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need help choosing axle shafts, please help

Hello guys and gals, I love this forum so much cuz I have learned a lot on here. I will try to make this short as possible. I have a 2012 jku rubi on 37" BFG km2's, I have a lot of other mods too but.I will list them later. Just sold my dirtbike and I would like to spend around $1500 or so. Are rcv's really worth $1100 or should I get front and rear ten factory, alloy, g2 or superior shafts. My plan was to get ten factory frnt and rear shafts and maybe a teraflex hd hinge or get rcv fronts and whatever shafts for the rear and get the hinge later. So I would like to here your opinions, on the shafts your running and how the little 760 spicer u joints hold up or the rcv's, and the problems you have had with breaks or trying to get a shaft replaced under warranty. Thank you for your help on this awesome forum.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Bump anyone?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have them yet but the RCV are the bomb that's why their so much. The CV joint is stronger and smother than a U joint.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKingAround
Don't have them yet but the RCV are the bomb that's why their so much. The CV joint is stronger and smother than a U joint.
Ya thanks that's what I heard too, but wayolife also said that they are almost too strong and can cause damage to the ring and pinion(.just read this on a thread from wayalife app
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Ya if something breaks its going to be at the weakest link that's for sure.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Ya if something breaks its going to be at the weakest link that's for sure.
Ya wol just told me to get regular chromo shafts cuz it will be better to break a u-joint than the ring and pinion
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Do you have a 30 or a 44 in the front?

A 30 pinion gets awful small a 5:13 so that would make sense with a 30. A 44 is bigger unless you have thrown a hemi or a lot more horsepower in it. Or are jumping to a lot taller tires you should never break a ring and pin. With that being said I understand his logic behind it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob-o

Ya wol just told me to get regular chromo shafts cuz it will be better to break a u-joint than the ring and pinion
Yup I agree with wol, i'm running Yukon shafts with no problems, if something does go wrong and your in the boon docks you will have a better chance finding parts to fix your chromo shafts, and won't be stranded for as long. But rcv are supposed to be tough as nails, so the likely hood of breaking maybe not. But i'm big on what if.. Lol remember the titanic sank it was unsinkable...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Do you have a 30 or a 44 in the front?

A 30 pinion gets awful small a 5:13 so that would make sense with a 30. A 44 is bigger unless you have thrown a hemi or a lot more horsepower in it. Or are jumping to a lot taller tires you should never break a ring and pin. With that being said I understand his logic behind it.
I have a d44
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by moe jk

Yup I agree with wol, i'm running Yukon shafts with no problems, if something does go wrong and your in the boon docks you will have a better chance finding parts to fix your chromo shafts, and won't be stranded for as long. But rcv are supposed to be tough as nails, so the likely hood of breaking maybe not. But i'm big on what if.. Lol remember the titanic sank it was unsinkable...
Are u running a d30 or 44. I would like to get yukons but I don't think they have them for the 44 yet

Quick Reply: I need help choosing axle shafts, please help