Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep rolled away-disaster averted

Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Jeep rolled away-disaster averted

My wife and I went camping this weekend in PA. When we got to the state park, someone had already set up their tent in the spot that we had reserved. We got out and were having a friendly conversation with the people to resolve the conflict. After a minute or so, my wife calmly said "honey, the jeep is rolling away". I looked up, and sure enough, my jeep was rolling right towards a Mercedes SUV parked a few campsites away. I took my 49 year old body and ran as fast as I could. I got to the drivers door and laid across the seat and pulled the E-brake up as hard as I could. The left rear tire locked up, but was sliding in grassy mud. The jeep finally came to a stop with the front bumper about 10 inches away from T-boning the Mercedes. What a fun way to start the camping trip. Could have been a lot worse. I have been suffering from a weak right arm due to a pinched nerve in my spine. I guess I didn't quite get the E-brake to a high enough position to thoroughly lock up the wheel before I got out to discuss the situation. Here is a picture after I removed my Jeep. Note the skid mark from my left rear tire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1374394902.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	666938  
Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Glad you got to it in time.
Any reason you couldn't have stepped on the brake pedal?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Glad you got to it in time. Any reason you couldn't have stepped on the brake pedal?
It all happened so fast. I think I pushed on the pedal brake with my weak right hand. Sensing that it wasn't stopping, I went for the e-brake. Again, first with the bad hand, then I put my left hand and right hand on the ebrake and it finally stopped. I didn't step on the pedal because I didn't actually have time to get into the jeep. I basically dove into the door after I opened it, with my chest laying across the driver seat.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you stopped the runaway jeep... did you get your campsite?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Glad you stopped the runaway jeep... did you get your campsite?
was all good in the end. The site right next to the one we had reserved was available, so we set up there. French Creek State Park in PA. It is a very nice park with many miles of hiking trails.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your Jeep was just trying to point out the funnier part of the equation and that was the Mercedes pulling the travel trailer, that combo just doesn't go together in my book. Fancy car and travel trailer..........
On another note why suffer through pinched nerve, go see a chiropractor its an instant fix to the uncomfortable and limiting condition.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
I think your Jeep was just trying to point out the funnier part of the equation and that was the Mercedes pulling the travel trailer, that combo just doesn't go together in my book. Fancy car and travel trailer.......... On another note why suffer through pinched nerve, go see a chiropractor its an instant fix to the uncomfortable and limiting condition.
Soooo. My wife is a nurse and spent 8 yrs in a Dr office that specializes in back & neck issues. Interventional Pain Management. I got an MRI, then got an injection in the neck. It took away the severe pain I had between the shoulder blades, but not the numbness or weakness in my hand. I may consider taking your advice. My numb arm sitting on the center console between shifting gears is very annoying. And yes, that Mercedes SUV did look pretty stupid hooked up to the travel trailer.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Soooo. My wife is a nurse and spent 8 yrs in a Dr office that specializes in back & neck issues. Interventional Pain Management. I got an MRI, then got an injection in the neck. It took away the severe pain I had between the shoulder blades, but not the numbness or weakness in my hand. I may consider taking your advice. My numb arm sitting on the center console between shifting gears is very annoying. And yes, that Mercedes SUV did look pretty stupid hooked up to the travel trailer.
Years ago, my mother developed pain in one of her legs. After suffering with it over a year, I suggested she go to a chiropractor. One visit and the pain was gone. It never came back. (Not that I am making any such suggestion for you.)

Quick Reply: Jeep rolled away-disaster averted