Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk soft top questions

Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk soft top questions

I am looking for a soft top for my 14 wrangler unlimited. I have seen some that fold back so the front passengers can let the sun in, and some do not do this. Which one should I look for that do?
Also. I can find no determining factor in what years cross, or if 07-14 are the same.. Or not. Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you all much for the guidance!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

From what I understand is if you get all hardware any year will work. I got the trektop nx at a jeep show brand new for $600. It has the fold back feature as well
Old 12-21-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyts313
I am looking for a soft top for my 14 wrangler unlimited. I have seen some that fold back so the front passengers can let the sun in, and some do not do this. Which one should I look for that do?
Also. I can find no determining factor in what years cross, or if 07-14 are the same.. Or not. Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you all much for the guidance!
The feature you're talking about where the front folds back and exposes front and rear passengers is called the Sunrider top. I have one on my 2014 JKU and love it. There have been plenty of times where I've left the house with the top up, but later pulled over and just quickly folded the Sunrider top back (and rolled up the rear window - don't forget about that). It's not quite as nice as putting the whole top down and taking the doors off, but in a pinch it's still a nice way to let the air and sun in.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for that info. Both of you. But what year is going to be compatible? That's probably the biggest question in my head.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got one for sale........but I'm in Ga.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jimmyts313
Thanks for that info. Both of you. But what year is going to be compatible? That's probably the biggest question in my head.
All years from 2007-2014 will fold back halfway if you are looking at OEM tops. In 2010 they changed to a cable assist soft top, so it is a bit easier to put up and down. In 2013 (I think) they upgraded the top material to a littlw thicker stuff to be more "durable".

You cannot interchange hardware and top from the 2007-2009 with the 2010-2014. But as long as you get the full top with hardware, a 2007 top would fit on your 2014 Jeep. I used a 2013 soft top on my 2008 JKU for a few months.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

That's great info, especially cause of the real world experience! Thank you very much!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

The 07-09's have the tuck system up front which sucks.....I would avoid that generation unless the deal is insane. I can flip the front back at a stop light without opening the doors
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fold back?

I have never quite understood the fold back option on aftermarket soft tops. I get it on factory, because everything folds back to the rear of the Jeep. If you have a header bar attached to two folding bars, where do you store the top, except in your garage? The nice thing about the roll back is the entire top slips off and can be rolled up to store in the back of the jeep. And this is a huge plus if you ever plan to get a rack. A folding top will interfere with the rack and the rack has to be elevated each time the top is put back.

With that said, I did not like the latest (non NX) Trektop. Fastback rocks, but Bestop has really started getting way too fancy. So I went with an Offroad Heros top. Best top I have ever owned. Thing is like a science experiment. Highly modular and everything folds up. But you need to have deep pockets and unbelievable patience... expect to wait at least 4 months for top. But I would have waited for 2 years for this thing. Will never change back.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Schlieko
I have never quite understood the fold back option on aftermarket soft tops. I get it on factory, because everything folds back to the rear of the Jeep. If you have a header bar attached to two folding bars, where do you store the top, except in your garage? The nice thing about the roll back is the entire top slips off and can be rolled up to store in the back of the jeep. And this is a huge plus if you ever plan to get a rack. A folding top will interfere with the rack and the rack has to be elevated each time the top is put back.

With that said, I did not like the latest (non NX) Trektop. Fastback rocks, but Bestop has really started getting way too fancy. So I went with an Offroad Heros top. Best top I have ever owned. Thing is like a science experiment. Highly modular and everything folds up. But you need to have deep pockets and unbelievable patience... expect to wait at least 4 months for top. But I would have waited for 2 years for this thing. Will never change back.
Not really that hard. You can disassemble completely of wanted but I just take trektop nx and slid under bed in winter time. I do have 3 car garage but still don't wanna take chance of getting windows too scratched (even though nice scratches from offroading) so under bed it goes

Quick Reply: Jk soft top questions