Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU sport S vs Sahara. Ideas and questions

Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool JKU sport S vs Sahara. Ideas and questions

okay so I am jku shopping, and I want a sahara just for the leather and the painted fenders and hard top. but the Sport S is WAY cheaper.

So my question is, can I buy a sport s with a hard top and pay to get the hard top and fenders painted (black)? has anyone ever tried to paint the fenders and hard top in matching gloss ?

also any deals or ideas on getting leather covers or oem seats/ oem seat covers in full leather ?

I feel that a sport S with a bodyshop painted fenders/hardtop and leather seat covers is STILL cheaper then a Sahara.

looking for info and opinions/ input

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it was me I would get the sport and get some poison spyder flares and paint them to match and get some leather covers or trek armor covers but that's just my opinion. I think the Hardest part in painting a hardtop is the prep work cause if its textured they have to sand it down to get it smooth
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone painted the top ? any one have experience doing it? I'm wondering if its worth it.

I dont mind the stock fenders, I just want them painted to match.

Most likely I will just keep it mostly stock besides a small lift and or bigger tires and some lighting

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the black hard top looks better and more jeep like than painted. I have the black on my sahara. If you want a painted top I would get the Sahara with a painted top from the factory and not deal with painting a brand new top. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jbb609
okay so I am jku shopping, and I want a sahara just for the leather and the painted fenders and hard top. but the Sport S is WAY cheaper.

So my question is, can I buy a sport s with a hard top and pay to get the hard top and fenders painted (black)? has anyone ever tried to paint the fenders and hard top in matching gloss ?

also any deals or ideas on getting leather covers or oem seats/ oem seat covers in full leather ?

I feel that a sport S with a bodyshop painted fenders/hardtop and leather seat covers is STILL cheaper then a Sahara.

Thanks
So are you getting a black jeep
Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Yes black on black JKU
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbb609

Thanks
Have you priced a JKU with the Freedom Package. Comes with painted fenders and top is painted black. Seats are leather trimmed. A friend of mine has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with full leather seats. He likes and feels the seats in my JKU Freedom are more comfortable. If you don't like the star on the hood my dealer was willing to take it off. I also like how it is equipped similar to Sahara but cheaper on auto insurance. My insurance co rates it as a JKU Sport which is cheaper than the Sahara. Anyhow Good Luck to you
Old 05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FreedomJeep13
I also like how it is equipped similar to Sahara but cheaper on auto insurance. My insurance co rates it as a JKU Sport which is cheaper than the Sahara. Anyhow Good Luck to you
Thats really interesting, I had no idea of insurance differences between sport/sport s and the Sahara
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Freedom edition

I found a freedom edition loaded and was cheaper than the Sahara, and only about 1600 more than a loaded sport. Mine ones with two toned leather, heated seats, Alpine audio and upgraded unconnected and command center.
Almost bought the Sahara but spent about 20 hours searching dealers inventory to find mine.

The Freedom editin has about 20 more options than the Sahara ...base to base
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

wait you can get the freedom in leather ? on jeep.com its NOT an option . . . just saying

Just built one, and with the options I want (with out the painted hard top and the leather seats as options) the freedom model is sitting at $34,560 MSRP

edit: it seems the freedom come with specific leather/cloth seats not sure if I like them better then the all leather saharas

I wonder if I can special order a freedom with a painted hardtop (in black) then I'm pretty much sold I think

Last edited by jbb609; 05-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: JKU sport S vs Sahara. Ideas and questions