Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: What Should I Do?
Get An New 2013 JKU
73.91%
Get An Used 2008-09 JKU
13.04%
Get An Older TJ/LJ
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Killed Black Sunshine, now what?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Killed Black Sunshine, now what?

Hey Gang! Need Some Advice.

So, my rather nicely equiped 2008 JKU Rubicon met an untimely demise recently. The rear driver side wheel and axle were removed from the vehicle causing it to be totaled out by my insurance company. I've considered my options an I can think of no vehicle that is as practicle as the JKU. It has excellent cargo capactiy, seating for four (we're planning on kids), is good in rough weather, can go pretty much anywhere, holds it's value, and is just plain fun to own.

To that end I've decided to replace it with another JKU. My first instinct was to buy another new one as I get "green sheet" pricing on them. After looking at the new interior I'm really on the fence. I hate the new interior, it feels to much like a SUV/Car and not enough like a Jeep to me. However, I do love the new Pentastar engine. It feels much more peppy and powerful than my 2008's, even after I Flashpaq'd it.

So I'm torn between trying to find an older 08-09 JKU Rubi or get a new JKU Rubi. Thoughts or opinions?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I certainly would go new. One reason is the older ones are still so darn expensive. Pony up a little more cash and get a new one. The new ones do have the grab bar for the passenger that says "since 1941" to retain some history. My question for you would be why Rubi? For me and my personal situation, I felt that the rubi was not worth the extra cost. Your situation may be different.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well hopefully this doesn't turn into a Rubi hater thread. I feel you on the interior, I prefer the old style of my 07 over the new ones. That being said, if I had to replace mine, I'd go for the new engine and live with the interior. Hey, it's got a cool new grab bar!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd prefer a Rubi for the 4:10 gears, Dana 44 front and rear, lockers, and swaybar disco. All of which should be covered under warrenty. If I tried to add these aftermarket the cost would be higher than with my greensheet price.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Well hopefully this doesn't turn into a Rubi hater thread. I feel you on the interior, I prefer the old style of my 07 over the new ones. That being said, if I had to replace mine, I'd go for the new engine and live with the interior. Hey, it's got a cool new grab bar!
No rubi hater here, just not something I personally needed. I typically buy my vehicles used, but when I decided to buy a jeep this did not make sense to me to buy used because the resale is so high. I still chuckle when I see used ones in the paper asking 25k and I only spent 28k on a brand new one.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
No rubi hater here, just not something I personally needed. I typically buy my vehicles used, but when I decided to buy a jeep this did not make sense to me to buy used because the resale is so high. I still chuckle when I see used ones in the paper asking 25k and I only spent 28k on a brand new one.
This was me too. The used prices were just too close to new, a well negotiated new price made sense for me.

I personally love the new interior, but I also have no problems with a Jeep being "too nice."
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Will my Flashpaq work on the newer JK's given the 2013 uses the Pentastar V6?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

So what exactly happened with the axle?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
So what exactly happened with the axle?
I was involved in a head on collision, front drivers side corner to front drivers side corner. As his vehicle slid down the drivers side of my JK he hit my rear tire and pulled it from the vehicle. Rather than the lug nuts or wheel breaking it actually pulled the driver side half of the axle shaft clean from the vehicle leaving the axle housing attached to the JK. I ended up with the tire, wheel, hub, half the brake system, and the axle coming out. You can see the splines on the end of the axle. Thing looked like a very short, bent teatherball pole.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Settled up with my insurance. After all my mods, the milage, and the condition they gave me just over $26,500 for my JK Rubi Unlimited. After paying off the note and my deductable I'm pocketing $20,000.

Having driven the 2013 JKU I like the increase in power from the Pentastar but I'm still not 100% on board with the new interior. What I'm thinking of doing is waiting until they start releasing the 2014 model years and see if they offer any rebates or incentives on a 2013 off the lot on top of my Greensheet. It'd be nice if I could nearly pay cash for it as I also have a Subaru BRZ on order.

Quick Reply: Killed Black Sunshine, now what?