Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leaking Soft top

Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Soft top

So I have a 2008 Rubicon and my wife took it to work today. I pretty good storm came in but it was just heavy rain. It is normal for a soft top to leak. She said that she had to scoop water out of the floor board when she got off and that it was to the point that the floor mat was basil floating. Any suggestions on how I can fix it?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pull the drain plugs under the carpet to drain it out. Try reseeding the soft top and inspect the gasket.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I can't take credit for this, but someone had just re-posted this leak diagnosis manual the other day in a different thread and it stuck in my mind. Maybe it can help you troubleshoot.

http://wkjeeps.com/misc/Wrangler/JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf

Glad I ran across your post today cuz I THOUGHT I had downloaded that for future reference the other day, but guess I had not.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

If its your original top it might be time to buy a new one. I have an '08 and replaced the top a few years back as it just no longer sealed up well. Eventually the fabric just dries out.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

^^ ding ding ding- winner. If the top is original (we don't know, you didn't specify) then it's absolutely time to replace it. Bestop says in their own advertising (fwiw) that the tops have a useable life of 5-7 years.

I replaced the top on my 2010 in 2015 with a premium top and would encourage you to do the same. They're night and day different.

If it is the original top then you'll want to go to the 2010+ cable style soft top. They're easier on the hands and less prone to cracking over top of the door surround where you're tucking those two plastic pieces in- the cable replaces that system.

Other than that, I think it was 11 or 12 when they went to a wider rear window and then 13 is when the premium material hit the market. If you can find one on Craigslist and get it for under $700 (new, in packaging) then you're on the right track. I picked mine up for under $500 and it came brand new, in factory packaging.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I researched the different manufacturers including the OEM soft top and decided on the Quadratop sold by Quadratec. I purchased the Quadratop Premium soft top with tinted windows for $469. The installation is easy IF you are 6' tall which I am not. I had to stand on the seats to pull the material over the framing. QuadraTop® Premium Sailcloth Replacement Soft Top in Black Diamond for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door | Quadratec.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The Quadratop I saw installed first-hand had a terrible fit and the rear sail panels looked to be cut incorrectly. Buy factory, be happy.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll take pictures of the top later today. I'm honestly not sure if the top has ever been replaced however it doesn't look bad. I'll definitely consider getting a new one so I know the life of it.

Quick Reply: Leaking Soft top