Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please

Help me out guys!
Going through the "Canadian Highway Traffic Act", as a new immigrant I find it hard to understand...

So-
Beside the "Stock" front bumper and "Mopar" front bumper, is there any other legal front bumpers out there?

I like the LoD Full Width Bumper, Look legal in my best understanding....
IS IT?
If not, what is!?
would like to know what my options are....

*I really like the: LoD Signature Series Mid-Width, and the Shrockworks mid-width, BUT!!! it's look like they both not legal in Canada...

Please help me... Thanks!

*LOD Full Width Bumper pics:

*Shrockworks mid-width:

*LoD Signature Series Mid-Width:

Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump...
Old 12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I havent heard of anyone here in Canada having issues with bumpers and the law, my opinion is that ANY aftermarket bumper is better than the piece of plastic the factory put on

I still run the factory bumper and chopped it to a stubby, alot of my friends are cops and have said nothing to me other than it looks better
Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, Here in Manitoba they are looking for us...
Anyone else can help me out? Please...
Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never heard about ''illegal bumpers'' in Canada either,
Beside a 8' stinger, i cant see why aftermarket bumpers would be illegal;

Maybe just ask your local police service? :thinking
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

... no wander you guys get in trouble...

Please check this thread, I am not inventing anything...

From the "Canadian Highway Traffic Act"
*Thanks to *JeepBobWinnipeg*
Originally Posted by Canadian Highway Traffic Act
BUMPERS

16.1 Every special motor vehicle of the passenger type shall be equipped with a bumper both on the front and rear of the vehicle.

16.2 The bumper width must cover the full track width of the vehicle.
16.3 The horizontal bumper of customized bumper or grill bar structure shall be at least 76mm.(3in.) in vertical height and centered on the vehicles center line and securely fixed to the vehicle and designed to minimize damage.

16.4 The bumper shall have no sharp ends and the ends shall angle towards the body.

16.5 The bumper shall be constructed of non-splintering material.

16.6 Original Car Manufacturers designs are acceptable. MOPAR?

16.7 Bumper Height Measurement Procedure - measure on a level surface the height of both front and rear bumpers to both the top and bottom of the horizontal bumper bars.

16.8 Bumper Height Requirement some part of the horizontal bumper must fall within 350mm.(13.7in.) and 560mm.(22in.) above the ground level surface. (See also red text below for trucks &c)

16.9 Every modified vehicle that is a truck or multi-purpose passenger vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 4500kg or less, the following shall apply:

a) There shall be a front bumper of at least 100mm.(4 in.) in vertical height and extending to the width of the vehicle manufacturer's track width.b) The bumper shall be of non-splintering material with no sharp ends.

c) Bumpers shall be of sufficient strength and so attached to the vehicle frame so as to effectively transfer impact loads to the frame.

d) Dropped bumpers shall be horizontal, at least 100 mm. (4 in.) in vertical height and continuous across its normal width or shall consists of separated sections. Separated sections shall not be less than 100 mm (4 in.) high and 100 mm (4 in.) wide and shall not be more than 300 mm. (12 in.) apart.

e) All bumpers shall have a foremost contact point at the bottom of the bumper not to exceed a maximum height of 740 mm. (29 in.) above a flat surface upon which the vehicle stands at curb weight, unless originally equipped.

FENDERS

18.1 Every special motor vehicle shall be equipped with fenders and/or adequate body coverage designed to cover the entire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface.

Coverage of the tire tread circumference shall be from at least 15 degrees in front to at least 90 degrees to the rear of the vertical center line at each wheel measured from the center of wheel rotation.

At no time shall the fender or adequate body coverage contact the tire.

Last edited by A.R.X-D; 12-07-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

I'll do my best to summarize as I've had U.S. related troubles. They want a bumper that is at least 4in in structural height, it must extend to the outer edge of tire tread, no sharp angles/splinterable materials (no wooden bumpers), the bottom of the bumper can be no higher than 29" from the ground, and the bumper must be attached properly to the frame.

It also sounds like they may require your tire tread to have a covering (i.e.-mudflaps) if they are uncovered 17-22" or higher from the ground. Also if you have a hoop or stinger bumper they want it 3" in height...that's the only confusing part I found in there, not sure if they want 3" tubing or it literally 3" off the top of the bumper.

You should be able to get any aftermarket full width bumper and have it be up to code...unless you're running 8" of lift

Last edited by runit3; 12-06-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got an or fab stubby stinger and have never been pulled over. Traveled through ns for a while and visit ns on a bi weekly basis and they are hard on lifted rigs.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump...
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Each province has their own respective vehicle equipment requirements. I'm familiar with B.C's and Alberta's but not Manitoba's...could take a bit of searching to find.

Quick Reply: Legal front bumper in Canada - Help Please