Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lift it.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift it.

Ok so I am a new JK owner. I've always wanted one but life happened. Now that I it, I need to lift it and get new rims and tires. But I'm lost. I see kits I like but don't trust reviews cause who really knows who wrote it up. so I was hoping someone might be able to give a piece of info from personal experience . Thank
Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Firstly, Welcome to the forum.

Secondly, I would suggest you spending the afternoon reading through the FAQ section. You'll learn a hellova lot. I spent my first 2 days there.

Third, just start reading in the different sections. You'll catch on really fast.

Your question on lifts is SUPER subjective and opinionated. Some guys here will say for you to go straight to Coil-Overs $5-10k, others will say to just get a leveling kit $125.

All depends on what you want to do with your Jeep and how you want it to look.

This is my current setup with 18/59 springs, 285/70/17 BFGA/T KO tires on stock bedlined wheels with Rough Country's 1.5" wheel spacers.

Here's a pic of how my Jeep started out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2906972309.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	384195

Eventually i had a 2.5" TF Spacers on it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4161602096.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	384196

*Last pic is that first one I described*
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2579410895.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	384194  

Last edited by Delux2769; 10-31-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. The plan is beast. I want to be able to go over small cars and buildings in a single bound. I want to use and abuse this jeep while I learn. Then give it to my son to do the same. Maybe a little over zealous for a first time owner but I have known I wanted a beast of a jeep since I first climbed into one( more like got thrown into one). But I'll check out FAQ and see what I learn.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen06
Ok so I am a new JK owner. I've always wanted one but life happened. Now that I it, I need to lift it and get new rims and tires. But I'm lost. I see kits I like but don't trust reviews cause who really knows who wrote it up. so I was hoping someone might be able to give a piece of info from personal experience . Thank
Welcome to the forum. What do u plan on doing with your jeep, rock crawling, mudding, sand, pre-running....going to the mall lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Well... I want to be able to do just about anything in it. I'm not concerned about looks, just function. If I go out somewhere I want a jeep that can handle a test. I'm not into winning anything I just want a fully capable machine.
At the end of the day I want to have the ability to go to tough places have a ton of fun and not have to leave my jeep there.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My suggestion is start with what size tires you want to run, then choose a lift height that meets the requirement. New wheels look cool, but I think the cost could be better spent on other mods, unless you want to run beadlocks. You'll need a new tire carrier for the larger spare, a front bumper with a winch for self-recovery, and probably new driveshafts to accommodate the lift. Armor also helps beef up the look of a rig, as well as offer some more protection on the trails.

Your budget can also effect what mods you want to do and in what order you can afford it. Just something to consider.

Researching is half the fun!

Last edited by TURTLECON; 10-31-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Allen06
Thanks. The plan is beast. I want to be able to go over small cars and buildings in a single bound. I want to use and abuse this jeep while I learn. Then give it to my son to do the same. Maybe a little over zealous for a first time owner but I have known I wanted a beast of a jeep since I first climbed into one( more like got thrown into one). But I'll check out FAQ and see what I learn.
What's your budget for the build? If you want that kind of capability, give AEV or EVO a call. Also try calling and talking to different off road shops such as Screaming Lizard in Dallas, or Rebel Off-Road as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let's get down to real world level. Do you daily drive it. If you do and want a unstoppable jeep.... Build one like moby. If you don't drive it, make one like crackin. I think its on 54s or something like that. Just an fyi... Building a jku Like moby is more then 10k in parts.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah it's my daily driver. My thoughts were that the money I saved not buying the ruby would be a good starting allowance to build with

Quick Reply: Lift it.