Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking for advice about purchasing new JKU

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice about purchasing new JKU

New to the forum, and was hoping that I could get some advice about whether or not I should buy a JKU that has mods installed by dealer, or get them down the road.

I am looking at a newer, lightly used JKU. I am trading in an '05 Xterra, I take it on trails or to the lake a few time a month. I am looking to get something newer and more fun then my Xterra. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money up front to get something that has a lift, bumpers and winch installed. But, if it makes more sense to wait and buy a factory Jeep I may do that. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Find out how long the warranty is on the dealer installed stuff, and how it will affect the factory warranty.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on price. Lifts can go from $200 to $4,000 when purchased from a reputable supplier like one of our forum sponsors.

Chances are, most dealers are going to install the $200 lift and charge you for the $4,000 one.

I purchased my current JK from a dealer and had them put my lift on but knew what I was getting.

Don't believe for a second that because your lift was put on by the dealer that it's under warranty.

Last edited by LidLess07X; 09-02-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkiddddd
New to the forum, and was hoping that I could get some advice about whether or not I should buy a JKU that has mods installed by dealer, or get them down the road.

I am looking at a newer, lightly used JKU. I am trading in an '05 Xterra, I take it on trails or to the lake a few time a month. I am looking to get something newer and more fun then my Xterra. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money up front to get something that has a lift, bumpers and winch installed. But, if it makes more sense to wait and buy a factory Jeep I may do that. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Speaking from experience, buy one stock and do everything the way you want it. I bought one lifted and hated it. I now have a stock one and going to put on a lift this week. You will also know everything that is done and done right if you do it your self.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah...until you really understand lifts (maybe you already do), you'll probably see more value in building it (or having it built) to your own specs with pieces you hand-select and price individually.

Not all dealers are bad, but they generally mark up the parts and labor more than you'd pay through an independent shop to do the build for you. Not all lifts, bumpers, winches are the same even if they promise to do the same things when you compare them.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would start by seeing how it drives. Check for pulling, wandering, noises, esp light coming on etc. If possible find out who installed the mods and as mentioned, how they will affect your warranty.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice about purchasing new JKU