Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking for a new jk need opinions

Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new jk need opinions

Ok guys I have never posted much of anything on here but love reading all the info. A year ago I sold my 2011 JKU Mango Tango to purchase my wife a new car and to move to something with a V8 to pull my bass boat. Total brain fart trust me I have regretted it ever since. I am now searching for a new Jeep and I am looking for a 2015 in True Blue Pearlcoat color. Now before I go further I will tell you I might do some light trail riding and such but I am not in to rock crawling or putting my Jeep in to the mud and water up to the windows which is awesome for you guys that enjoy that. But I love for mine to look good all the time and cruise with the top down to the beach and mountains and such more than pushing it to its limits. So here is my question. I am torn as which package I should buy. I am financially in a position to purchase a Rubicon but if I am using it for my daily driver and light trail riding do I really want to purchase the more expensive Jeep or stick with the Sahara. I know I don't want the sport as that is what I already had and I want the painted fenders and matching hardtop (yes yes I know black is in and thats the craze but not for me). I know long term that resale would be great on the Rubicon but I am just wondering if it is good for a Jeep with those performance parts on it not to be used like they were intended kind of like I have always heard if you own a diesel that it needs to be worked and not a highway truck or they don't last as long. I will also say I am no mechanic and I know very little about the advantages that the Rubicon would give me. Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Our stories are so similar, it's scary. I missed my mango tango '11 from the second I said goodbye to her. I just got back in a '15 Willys. It's my daily driver and a little loud during my commute but I love it. If the Sahara with matching fenders and hard top is what you want then go get it.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rubicon is frankly a lot more expensive and sounds like it wouldn't be a good value for you.

That said, it's not going to hurt anything to just drive it around like any other Jeep. And you can get the Rubicons with 4.10 gears as well which is perfect IMO.

If you have the money get what you want. The Rubicons do look cool. Hard to argue there.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Ok... How in the hell can there be a 3rd exact story like this!?!? Now it's just a bit creepy! LOL!

I traded my 2011 Mango Tango for a F-150 a few years ago so I could pull my boat. Yes... worst decision here as well! I fluttered around for a bit and wound-up back in a new Rubicon last May. I know this for certain, I will not make the same mistake twice! LOL!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a couple reasons why you should get the Rubicon:
You can get the 4.10 gears that, depending on how big your boat is, could be more useful towing it.
When/if you ever sell it guys will be lined up to buy it from you because it's a used Rubicon that has never been seriously offroaded. Guys who buy used Rubicons like them clean and not beaten on (that way they can do all the beating on it).
However, if you don't plan on towing the boat or lifting it and putting 35s on it you might want to stick with a Sahara. You'd likely get better gas mileage and it would be cheaper than the Rubi.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I still have my mango tango jk....I think the difference here is I have two fewer doors

I prefer the sport for trail riding and you can get all of the same options on those rubi's on the sahara or sport.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

You don't need a rubicon for what you describe. However, don't make the mistake of settling for 3.21 gears. 3.73 is a great setup if you are keeping stock tire size.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks alot guys great suggestions and yes its very scary that there were 3 similar stories I guess we all live and learn. Anyway I should have mentioned earlier that if I do get the Sahara the only real upgrade I would do would be increase tire size to probably some 285's that's what was on my 2011 and I loved the way it looked and it didn't really compromise the ride. That being said keep the suggestions coming and if anyone knows where a low mileage Hydro blue with matching top is shoot me a message. I have found a few that I was really interested in but there 600 miles away and this is a totally different topic but has anyone had experience buying a jeep that came from Canada? Two of the Jeeps I found were both brought back to the US after being turned in from a short term lease program supposedly according to the dealer. The only issue I found with them was the factory warranty was voided due to crossing the boarder. Any thoughts on those are also appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

The difference is the Canadian jeep will get kilometers per liter instead of mpg!
But seriously, how big is your boat? The 4.10 gears might be nice for towing if you are going up to 285's. And I agree 285's look good on stock jeeps.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford it get the Rubicon. You get the upgraded front axle, 4.10 gears, lockers, sway bar disconnect and cool hood decals (haha). I don't do a lot of heavy off-roading but it's comforting to know you have those extra "tools" available. Any trim level Jeep can be built to surpass the capabilities of the Rubicon but the extras in the Rubicon are items most people wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to later. Lots of people do lifts, wheels and tires so with the Rubicon the other items are covered. Besides if you're still using it to pull your boat you never know when the lockers may come in handy on some of those off the beaten path boat launches. Good luck with your decision. No matter what you choose hey...it's a Jeep!

Quick Reply: Looking for a new jk need opinions