Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

"Mall Crawler vs. Rock Crawler"

Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Mall Crawler vs. Rock Crawler"

Does it really matter how we customize are JK's as long as owners we are satisfied. When going against a mechanic's advice for spacers instead of a 3000 suspension upgrade it was brought to my attention that I am in fact building a mall crawler!

Cold blooded yet true at this time...I want five rims and five tires before I do anything to the suspension. I am just saying because for me to drivie a JEEP off the lot on bicycle tires with no immediate expectation of increasing the stance is blasphemous
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by agbwon2
Does it really matter how we customize are JK's as long as owners we are satisfied. When going against a mechanic's advice for spacers instead of a 3000 suspension upgrade it was brought to my attention that I am in fact building a mall crawler!

Cold blooded yet true at this time...I want five rims and five tires before I do anything to the suspension. I am just saying because for me to drivie a JEEP off the lot on bicycle tires with no immediate expectation of increasing the stance is blasphemous
Actually, as the jeep contacts ground on 4 small areas of rubber -- which determine the grip, regardless of whether you "mall" or "off-mall" -- this is THE most important mod...

Last edited by GJeep; 02-03-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Lifts & tires are usually the first mods, guys do.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

I second that /\
||
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put 33's on as soon as I could afford it. My first mod was flipping the rear view mirror upside down. Did that during the test drive.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by agbwon2
I am just saying because for me to drivie a JEEP off the lot on bicycle tires with no immediate expectation of increasing the stance is blasphemous
Ahh. The wonderfull part of having a free spirit. What may be considered blasphemy for some. Is actually piety for others.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Ehh...I have spacers on mine and it crawls rocks just fine, thanks! You'll be fine with spacers...you can always upgrade later and sell the spacers.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im working the oposite way. Top to bottom. Bumpers / tire carrier / diff covers / lights then ill go suspension then wheels and tires last
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Lifts & tires are usually the first mods, guys do.
Guys do??? What is the first thing us girls do?? Think hard before answering..lol
Here are my Jeeps.....what do you think I did first???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0550.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	417730   Click image for larger version

Name:	1218.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	417731   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Sahara.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	417732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0510.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	417733   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Sahara 2.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	417734  

Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i dont want a lift

I prefer it lower so cant call it a mall crawler though im not dropping off rocks and going up to my sills in water and mud still like to see others do that but if I wanted that id buy a atv my jeep is to get me around and get me to the spots I cant get with a car or truck with out getting stuck yet I don't need a lift.
tires were my first mod wich lead to tire carriers and bumpers im trying to stop at that but I might need springs due to front bumper if I add a winch ill need more spring rate I only go to the mall when I need something I live in the mountains of nh call it what you will I had a 2011 sport traded it for a rubicon did I have to no . but life is easyer for me not having to regear and replace my axles and add elec disco better shocks you know and also have to constantly bring it in and pay a mechanic and downtime if that's conciderd a mall crawler I realy don't care ! I got stuck with my rubicon and couldn't get out in 4 lo tried rockin it . rememberd I had lockers and hit the button . presto it was like a helecoptor tied on to me I was out in a second . To me that's why I bought the rubicon over another sport . to much agrivation with a sport when all I needed was low transfer gear , and stronger axles and buttons, without getting out
rock sliders on the lower doors, 410 gearing, ac wich my sport didn't have . I have been to the mall but I don't crawl there , I prefer the back dirt roads but not destroying my investment

Quick Reply: "Mall Crawler vs. Rock Crawler"