Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The most unanswered question in JK history. Let’s solve it on this Forum!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most unanswered question in JK history. Let’s solve it on this Forum!

The most unanswered question in JK history. Let’s solve it on this Forum!

I just purchased a brand new 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited sport. It runs and looks great but is missing something. It just doesn’t look right with those small tires on it. Right now I feel like banging my head off the wall because like a lot of Jeep owners I have spent the last 2 weeks and well over 20 hours researching what size tires I should choose for my new 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited sport. I have called dealerships, discount tires, and looked at plenty of forums. Everyone has a different answer. Some say you can fit 285/75/r16 on your JK with no problems. Others say that you are going to have rubbing issues if you do not lift your jeep. I have read up on leveling kits, suspension lifts, budget boosts, wheel spacers, and offset wheels. I am looking for help before I spend over $1800 on wheels and tires. So please take a few seconds to read this and help me out, as well as every JK owner that has researched this topic.

I know your probley thinking why wouldn’t they just spend a little extra money and get a body lift or a budget boost? I believe there are three main reasons why people don’t go with a lift, or BB.

1. For new JKers it will void their warranty.
2. It effects gas millage
3. It costs more money

So here’s what I do know: 285/75/r16’s can fit on your jeep wrangler without a suspension lift, a body boost, or wheel spacers. However, there will be some rubbing issues. Obviously new JKers don’t want rubbing issues. So what about buying new wheels with a 4” or 4.5” backspacing? I’ve heard that it could work but have not get a definite answer on this. So what I hope to accomplish after submitting this form is to get people that have tried going with the 285/75/R 16 tires with wheels with 4.5” or 4” back spacing to submit pictures and talk about how there JK drove on the road, and off the road in the mud. Were there any rubbing issues? How was your gas millage affected? 2nd I would also like JKers to submit pictures of going with 285/75/r16 with a leveling kit. Did you have any rubbing issues off road? I’ve heard from reading other forums, and on the taraflex website it says that you can fit 285/75/r16’s with a leveling kit but how does it work in the mud, any rubbing? When submitting these pictures please also post what wheel spacing you have. For instance if you went with a leveling kit but still have rubbing issues your problem might be because you do not have the proper wheel spacing of 4.5”. So let’s answer that question.

Also, if you are running 265/75/R16’s on stock please submit those picks. If you do have rubbing issues I would like to know but make sure you submit what size wheel spacing you have. Also submit if your gas mileage was affected.

Please no pictures of lifted jeeps, like I said I already know 285/75/r16 will fit no problem with a lift. Only pictures of leveling kits, or wheel spacers.

Let’s solve this together, and figure out what really works
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...o-lift-249854/

Lots of 33's or 35's without lifts...
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately it isn't black and white... It feels like it should be but isn't.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's start with the first thing. Putting bigger tires on your jeep "can" void your warranty if they can prove that the added diameter of the tire put extra strain on the drive train. Not exactly hard for them to do. That said, most dealers won't, just as most won't for putting on a lift.

If you choose to not take that risk and still put bigger tires you have a few defined options.

1. Tires with a 33" profile will fit as long as you don't exceed 10.5" in width(will rub sway bar at full steer) and will not require any other modification.

2. The same 33" profile tire will fit with 12.5" profile if you get a rim with 5"s or less backspacing or wheel spacers but will not work on any factory rim without rubbing sway bar.

3. Tires with a 35" profile will fit as long as you get 5" or less backspaced rims or spacers and either cut your fenders or change them out entirely with tube or bushwacker flat fenders.

4. DO NOT ADJUST YOUR STEERING STOPS to allow a wider tire on your factory wheels. This will definatly void your warranty and severly limit you turn radius

I hopes this answers your question. Enjoy your new toy.

Last edited by Blade; 10-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your worried about jeep flagging you and you want a lift and tires go this route.

Get the rubicon take off wheels and tires and find 19/60 springs/shocks from a member or buy new from jeep.

That way everything is factory from jeep and they can say its from aftermarket parts causing wear on items. You will be very surprised where a stock jeep can go. Once you get the springs and wheels save up for bumpers, winch, recovery gear,lighting, rock rails and the list goes on.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3. It costs more money

If you are worried about the above 3, you bought the wrong vehicle or you need to drive it as is.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbrown626
3. It costs more money

If you are worried about the above 3, you bought the wrong vehicle or you need to drive it as is.
EXXXXXXACTLY.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
If your worried about jeep flagging you and you want a lift and tires go this route.

Get the rubicon take off wheels and tires and find 19/60 springs/shocks from a member or buy new from jeep.

That way everything is factory from jeep and they can say its from aftermarket parts causing wear on items. You will be very surprised where a stock jeep can go. Once you get the springs and wheels save up for bumpers, winch, recovery gear,lighting, rock rails and the list goes on.
X2. Because the original post mentions 16" wheels, I'm gonna guess this Jeep has the smaller 29-30" tires. The bigger stock tire option (32" on 17" wheels) looks a lot meatier and is still stock. Same is true of the 19/60 springs and the larger diameter Rubicon shocks that will probably come with them. Every Sport Jeep without aftermarket springs would work better and be just a bit taller using the 19/60 (or close) springs and Rubi shocks.

Also - welcome to the forum!!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Blade
Let's start with the first thing. Putting bigger tires on your jeep "can" void your warranty if they can prove that the added diameter of the tire put extra strain on the drive train. Not exactly hard for them to do. That said, most dealers won't, just as most won't for putting on a lift.

If you choose to not take that risk and still put bigger tires you have a few defined options.

1. Tires with a 33" profile will fit as long as you don't exceed 10.5" in width(will rub sway bar at full steer) and will not require any other modification.

2. The same 33" profile tire will fit with 12.5" profile if you get a rim with 5"s or less backspacing or wheel spacers but will not work on any factory rim without rubbing sway bar.

3. Tires with a 35" profile will fit as long as you get 5" or less backspaced rims or spacers and either cut your fenders or change them out entirely with tube or bushwacker flat fenders.

4. DO NOT ADJUST YOUR STEERING STOPS to allow a wider tire on your factory wheels. This will definatly void your warranty and severly limit you turn radius

I hopes this answers your question. Enjoy your new toy.
Thanks for the advice, that does help. I am gonna go to discount tire on monday and take some measurements of 285/75/16's. I think i'm going to go with the 28/75/r16 set up with 4" to 4.5" of backspacing on new wheels. I'll let everyone know how that works. But keep the comments up, i'd like to see some picks to.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

A lift does not affect gas mileage. Bigger tires do.

Quick Reply: The most unanswered question in JK history. Let’s solve it on this Forum!