Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NEED Advice on Tire Purchase

Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED Advice on Tire Purchase

I'm gonna get right to it: Tires are my next item on my list to buy and as a teenager it's hard to come across money without a steady job, but I'm working a job this summer and will end up with about $1100-1200 dollars in my pocket at the end of July. I have a Specific tire I want, 35 Duratracs w/17" rims. I'm going to save money and use the stock wheels so it's just the tires I'm buying. 35 Duratracs go for around 300 each so I can probably scrape together enough for 4 tires. However 5 is not out of reach if I work overtime. The problem is, and here is where y'all's advice is needed, I don't have aftermarket tire carrier that can support that size tire without bending (and I don't want bending) so then I assume put it in my trunk (because it, sure as hell, would suck if I got a flat in a location that would take anyone a long time to get to; but carrying around a $300 tire in my trunk is just asking for a break in and theft). What do you think? Just buy 4 tires ? Or buy 5 tires and then do something with the 5th tire? I am leaning to the 4 tires b/c i don't see a safe way to store my 5th tire where it is accessible if needed, without a tire carrier. What do you guys think, and if it's in support of buying 5 , what do you suggest I do with the 5th tire to keep it safe and accessible?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put 315/70/17 Good Year Dura-Tracks on mine and I love them so far ( about 1,000 miles ) Also with AEV Pintlers my spare fits fine with an extender $80....
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would definitely go with a set of 5, if you get a flat your screwed. The tire carrier adapter is cheap and reliable.
Off Camber Fabrications 130718 - Off Camber Fabrications by MBRP Spare Tire Relocation Bracket for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked at your profile and couldn't find any info about your ride...engine, gears etc. You will need to regear if you haven't already. I'd assume, keeping stock wheels you haven't yet. And even moreso if you have an automatic. If you have the 3.8, I don't know if you can even do it. All that aside, get 5 when the time comes.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

He can do it it will just be very sluggish dont expect much acceleration. As for the tire carrier question for a short time you can put your spare on your stock carrier you will need a spacer or somthing to put between the carrier and the wheel. I wouldn't keep it like that if your doing serious wheeling.

Hope this helps
Sam
Btw I am a graduating seinor and I feel your struggle with the minimal funds for jeep parts.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want some extra reassurance look into the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier. It helps support a bigger tire better although it's still not as good as a frame mounted tire carrier. I got mine for around $120 and it holds my 35s very well.

By the way I'm also a graduating senior and know the money situation very well...
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also budget yourself some wheel adapters/spacers since you're going to keep the stock wheels. Depending on the tire size you get, they may rub up front on your sway bar when turning. 1.25-1.5" adapters.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ancient Jeeper to Young Jp Jedi; Tire(s) & Pressures

Originally Posted by mr.bluesky
I'm gonna get right to it: Tires are my next item on my list to buy and as a teenager it's hard to come across money without a steady job, but I'm working a job this summer and will end up with about $1100-1200 dollars in my pocket at the end of July. I have a Specific tire I want, 35 Duratracs w/17" rims. I'm going to save money and use the stock wheels so it's just the tires I'm buying. 35 Duratracs go for around 300 each so I can probably scrape together enough for 4 tires. However 5 is not out of reach if I work overtime. The problem is, and here is where y'all's advice is needed, I don't have aftermarket tire carrier that can support that size tire without bending (and I don't want bending) so then I assume put it in my trunk (because it, sure as hell, would suck if I got a flat in a location that would take anyone a long time to get to; but carrying around a $300 tire in my trunk is just asking for a break in and theft). What do you think? Just buy 4 tires ? Or buy 5 tires and then do something with the 5th tire? I am leaning to the 4 tires b/c i don't see a safe way to store my 5th tire where it is accessible if needed, without a tire carrier. What do you guys think, and if it's in support of buying 5 , what do you suggest I do with the 5th tire to keep it safe and accessible?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

I have been a Jeeper since I was a wee~lil~tike. So, take whatever advice I impart as an outline of where you want to go and what you want to do.

I have a 2012 JKU (s) that I bought with the sole intentions of building over the next 15-20 years into a rock truck.

The tire extender everyone is talking about;

Will add unnecessary stress to your tailgate skin and hinges.
A better option would be to replace the stock cast aluminum unit with a steel unit from Smittybilt.
It can handle up to a 37" tire or 210 lbs, and it sits much closer to the tailgate. Thus, reducing stress on both
the door's hinges and the skin of the door. Also, it includes a third brake light extender so folks behind you can actually see your third brake light. I believe it costs around $129.00. money well spent.

As for your Tire selection;

35" Duratracs have a great service record, and a strong tread pattern. But for $300/ tire, You could do better.

I personally have had used in the past, BFG. And as they too are a great tire, but they are very pricey as well.

My current choice for tires on my stock 17" rims is Treadwright's, 35.8", Bead to Bead,(B2B), Mud Dogs.
I couldn't beat the price of $158/tire (5) and $146 for shipping of all five.
I currently have over 12,550 miles on them. About 1500 miles are off road, and of that about 700 is on rocks.
The tread has held up very well, and the wear has been even throughout all of them.
While on the road, my pressure is about 38-40 psi.
Off Road, I drop it to about 20 psi.
Rock crawling I drop it further to about 8-10 psi.
As for flats, I havent had any yet....
But just in case, either you or a friend should carry a Hylift Jack. Your Stock Jack just will not be high enough to remove & replace your wheel.

I hope this helps answer some questions.

Never Wheel Alone, That's Just Asking for Trouble.
Enjoy the Ride. And You might See me out there.

Boney~1
Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will probably repeat some of what has already been said.

1. With stock wheels you will need wheel spacers like the Spidertrax 1.5" spacers. I just put a set on my 2015 JKUR. A set of 4 will run you about $200 new. Alternatively you could get new wheels with 4.5" or less backspacing.

2. Although you could probably get away with putting a 35 on the tailgate for a while, it seems like it is asking for problems. Either put it in the back as you mentioned or upgrade to a better tire carrier solution.

3. Changing the tire size will require you to let the JK computer know it has changed so the tranny will shift when it should (assuming you have an auto). If so, you need something like the AEV Procal to program in the tire size.

4. Probably will want to get an alignment to adjust the toe or you can do it yourself.

5. I also assume you have a lift or flat fenders (with adequate bumpstops) to allow 35s to fit.

6. Changing gearing seems to be subjective. I have a 2015 with 4.10s and 35 Duratracs and it is fine. However I don't think I would be okay with 3.73 gearing or less.

Quick Reply: NEED Advice on Tire Purchase