Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need Jeepin Trip Advice!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Jeepin Trip Advice!

My wife and I are wanting to plan our first jeeping trip to Colorado/Moab. We would like to hit the mild trails that connect Silverton, Ouray, And Telluride, then make our way to Moab for a few trail runs. We are looking at spending 7-10 days doing this...driving from DFW in North Texas round trip. Is there a route anyone recommends? I also need some advice on this thought. I know there are always chances of breaking...but that's the nature if off road. We have made some OHV trails around here....but we really want to see Gods country. We currently have a sport with a few mods: Rock crawler 3.5 lift MT 37s Bumpers Winch 4.88s Front sleeves and gussets I plan to have skid plates before the trip too also.....thoughts on the idea?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3583062125.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	467388   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4277179967.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	467389  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check traildamage.com my fav site. You wont run into any real difficult trails in Ouray, black bear is doable with a jku but it will be tight for you if you have a wide tire foot print + offset. Its one of a few trails were a modified jeep actually becomes a burden. And moab is just a plethora of different levels you will find on that site.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Were actually thinking about going in May.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you get into Sliverton or Ouray and Moab look the the trail guide books by Charles Wells. Very goo books. You can find them at some stores and Jeep rental agencies for about $25 to $30. Happy Wheelin
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by devwil68
Were actually thinking about going in May.
Trails can be hit or miss in May. Black bear isn't even going to open this year until July. Some other trails in Ouray didn't open until late May this year because of snow.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hooper
When you get into Sliverton or Ouray and Moab look the the trail guide books by Charles Wells. Very goo books. You can find them at some stores and Jeep rental agencies for about $25 to $30. Happy Wheelin
I really hate those books and don't understand why people talk about them so much. So many trails missing, only 3 levels (easy, moderate, difficult) and some times they are not accurate even with that scale. Trail damage gives you the low end 1-10 and high end 1-10 along with why the rating is what it is by Rockclimbing, mudding, water crossing and so on. What does moderate mean? That could be anything from 3-6 on traildamage and the difference between a 3 and a 6 is huge. Plus traildamage gives you electronic files for google earth for the track and for the trail head. And GPS coordinates. Plus there are better color pictures of the trail, plus movies people have taken. Traildamage is light years ahead of those old outdated books. And the big thing about Traildamage, IT'S FREE!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry buys...lol...i meant to type October! Lol
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did check out traildamage...awesome site. I plan to use this before and during our trip.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by devwil68
Sorry buys...lol...i meant to type October! Lol
Ohhh, well that is even more hit or miss.

Quick Reply: Need Jeepin Trip Advice!