Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Jeep Owner (Finally) Looking for Friendly Advice

Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeep Owner (Finally) Looking for Friendly Advice

Years ago, after I started by first real job, I wanted to purchase a Wrangler but just couldn't afford it at that time. Then, with young kids, it just wasn't practical. So now, years later, I finally had a chance to purchase a vehicle for fun rather than being practical. So I just bought my first jeep. I got a 2017 2-door Sport S, manual with hardtop. For years I've envied those who drive a jeep. Now I finally get to join the club.

I've read many of the new owner posts seeking advice. But I figure since everyone has different goals, I would post this as I'm seeking any helpful advice anyone would be willing to share. So here's the background:

I do not anticipate making major modifications as my mechanical skills are moderate and the amount of cash I have to put into this hobby is limited. I would like to do some beginner off-roading (stress beginner because I don't know what I'm doing). I've read a lot online but I have no experience. None of my friends drive jeeps so I doubt I have anyone to drive trails with me as a mentor. But I certainly have plenty of friends that would like go along for the ride.

My Wrangler will also serve as my daily ride. I have a very short commute to work and don't put many miles on my cars. Oh, and one last thing, I realize that Wranglers are made for off-roading, but I have to say that driving it around town is a ton of fun!

Advice? Suggestions?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congratulations on the new Jeep! First drive it on road and off road and get used to what it will do in stock form, it is very capable. Don't do any mods until you research and talk to people, you can waste a lot of money real fast............good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with the above, a stock JK will actually suprise you the places it will go. More aggressive tires even in the stock size will go a long way in making it even more offroad capable. Make a game plan on what you think you might need based on how you'll use it, then research, research and research some more. Luckily this forum has a wealth of knowledge to draw from
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

After owning several Jeeps over many years, (and I have two right now) My advise is exactly what the gentleman above me have said. Don't succumb to pressure in anyway at this point to do anything to your Jeep, learn it as is. It'll make you a better driver off road. Also, please go to Treadlightly!.com and blueribboncoalition.com and learn about what it takes to be a good land steward and stay on designated trail, never blaze your own trail. Teach your kids to be good land stewards also, please. Some of us get together many times a year and pick up trash in off road areas. Give to either one of the above, they are the ones who fight to keep our trails open, it's a constant battle. Next thing to do is to find a group of like minded people in your area to go off roading with. There are no doubt, a group in your area you can join and learn from. Some people never do that out of shyness but meeting new like minded people in that atmosphere is a great thing and it will teach you a lot. You can also seek out an off road course, or school that can teach you the basics. Good luck !
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Ive had my 20112 since I bought it new 5 yrs ago. Congrats. As others have said, keep it basically stock. You will be surprised at how capable it is. Maybe you should do a search to learn just what it means for a wrangler to carry the "Trail Rated" badge. There is a specific set of off road requirements necessary for that. I upgraded my tires to duratrac and upgraded my rear bumper because I towed a very heavy load. Other than that, she is all stock and takes me everywhere I want to go.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the solid advice. Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more and to to the adventures ahead.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Find a jeep club and tag along and join if it fits what you are looking for. Even talking to fellow jeepers you see in a parking lot about groups that might be local. With cut or adding flat fenders, good tires and disconnecting the sway bar will go a long way and won't cost much. Other that tires are expensive.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Agree with the Jeep club idea. There are a lot of Jeepers out there who would love to go wheeling with you. Congrats on the new wheels!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

don't look at any catalogs
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new and first Jeep.
What we tell a lot of our members who are new to the club and wheeling is just go out and enjoy your Jeep. The Jeep is very capable right off the show room floor, go out and learn your 4 wheel drive system, learn how to air down and why and for what terrain you plan on running, learn how to disconnect your sway bar and why. Learn throttle control over terrain. The upgrades will come in time with experience.

Most of all don't forget to wave at other Jeepers.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Owner (Finally) Looking for Friendly Advice