Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New jeep question!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New jeep question!

Hey folks! Just purchased a new 2013 sport unlimited black wrangler! I kinda feel like I ripped off those girls back In college I told them I loved.... Boy was I wrong about the use of that word. God made that word for Jeeps!

I do have a question though..... I know the saying goes if ya can't find em, grind em.
Every single time I go from 5th gear to 6th it seems to grind!!! For being my new baby it makes me cringe a little. Now I've changed a few variables, like rpms and speed. I've tried taking it from 4th to 6th too to see if it was an issue coming out of 5th. Time to call the dealer already or am I missing something?
Thanks for the help and advice folks!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah you are not missing any thing. They shouldent be grinding. None of the gears in my 2012 grind at any rpm. Sounds like you have a worn / damaged synchro.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you try to shift into 6th at relatively low speed - maybe 35mph or less, the reverse lockout doesn't work and it will grind if you go close to reverse. Could be that but if happening all the time regardless of speed a synchronize prob is more likely
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Well that sucks! What's it cost to replace that or whatever. Is it under the warranty? I Literally drove it off the lot Friday. I'm wondering if someone screwed it up on a test ride :/
Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bummr
Well that sucks! What's it cost to replace that or whatever. Is it under the warranty? I Literally drove it off the lot Friday. I'm wondering if someone screwed it up on a test ride :/
It's still under warranty. I would take it to the dealer and have them take a look. Mine's clunky but no grinding.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bummr
You have a 3yr/36K miles bumper to bumper warranty, which means EVERYTHING is covered within that time frame. The only problem you may run into is convincing the dealer that this is not normal so they do the work to fix it.

Did you test drive it before driving off the lot?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Synchro it was. Watery covered it. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: New jeep question!