Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Tires?? 35s

Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires?? 35s

Hey all!

So it appears the Pro Comp MT2 Extreme 35s that I have on the JK has been the culprit to the vibration problem. 4Wheel Parts have changed two of the 4 new tires already due to being "out of round" and even though the new tires drastically improved the ride, a slight vibe is still there. So, we're scratching the Pro Comps and going with something new……any recommendations would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've browsed through the forum and have seen the Nittos Trail/Mud Grapplers, Mickey Thompsons MTZ, Toyos and BFG KM2 to be the most common?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nittos Trail/Mud Grapplers, Mickey Thompsons MTZ, Toyos and BFG KM2 to be the most common?

Yes, Yes, and Yes - all are great, you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers saying they love tier tires. I've had 35" Duratecs, Nittos and MTZs all are great tires.

If I were looking today for tires I'd get MTZs
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
Nittos Trail/Mud Grapplers, Mickey Thompsons MTZ, Toyos and BFG KM2 to be the most common?

Yes, Yes, and Yes - all are great, you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers saying they love tier tires. I've had 35" Duratecs, Nittos and MTZs all are great tires.

If I were looking today for tires I'd get MTZs
2X on all good, have run with MTZ before and have Nittos now as they were a better price. Would recommend both to anyone
Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyo Open Country MTs.

I have 44K on mine and although they're getting a little bit loud, I can easily get another 12K miles out of them which puts me at 3.5 years... (I rotate the spare in too).
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Toyo MT's and Nitto Trail grapplers are my personal favorites. Yes, they are heavy, but do great on and off road and take no weight to balance.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have run the MTR's,Trail Grapplers, Pro Comp MT. I am now running the KM2's. The MTR's were my favorite so far but I am liking the KM2's. Winter may have me going back to the MTR's.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far! Definitely leaning towards the Toyos……I just want this thing to ride without vibrating….can't believe the problems they're having with balancing the Pro Comps!?!?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

I recently purchase duratracs and so far I like them and I'm looking forward to using them this winter to see how the performance perform with the severe weather rating they have. I had a lot of vibration in my steering wheel been 44-52 mph. I had them rebalance the tires and still was acting up so I tried adjusting my control arms thinking my caster might be out but it didn't help. Brought them back to goodyear and they match mounted them and my vibrations are gone. They may be difficult tires to balance like the duratracs.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snowride20
I recently purchase duratracs and so far I like them and I'm looking forward to using them this winter to see how the performance perform with the severe weather rating they have. I had a lot of vibration in my steering wheel been 44-52 mph. I had them rebalance the tires and still was acting up so I tried adjusting my control arms thinking my caster might be out but it didn't help. Brought them back to goodyear and they match mounted them and my vibrations are gone. They may be difficult tires to balance like the duratracs.
They were balanced when everything was originally done, then took it back and all of a sudden the fronts were off by an ounce or so, so rebalanced. Then took back again, now they found one tire to be out of round, changed it. Took it back and then one of the rears were out of round, changed that one. For the first time, I drove it and it was "almost" completely gone but there's still a little vibration coming from the front. So, at this point, I just told them, instead of chasing unbalanced tires, just get all new ones…..different brand and all! Hoping this will eliminate the vibe once and for all!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK717
They were balanced when everything was originally done, then took it back and all of a sudden the fronts were off by an ounce or so, so rebalanced. Then took back again, now they found one tire to be out of round, changed it. Took it back and then one of the rears were out of round, changed that one. For the first time, I drove it and it was "almost" completely gone but there's still a little vibration coming from the front. So, at this point, I just told them, instead of chasing unbalanced tires, just get all new ones…..different brand and all! Hoping this will eliminate the vibe once and for all!
I was just saying they may have needed to be match mount balanced. Little bit more of a process then just balancing. Good luck with the new tires. If you have problems again try to borrow someone's tires that you know don't create a vibration to try and determine if it is in fact the tires.

Quick Reply: New Tires?? 35s