Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Wrangler Rumors

Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wrangler Rumors

So I've been seeing a lot of the rumors about the new Wrangler and specifically the lack of a soft top. I'm looking for opinions on that from folks. I've been a Jeep guy most of my life, and one of the reasons is the soft top. If the new Wrangler doesn't have one, I'm not sure I'll buy another Jeep. But I don't know if maybe I'm being a little crazy on that.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry, future Wranglers will have a soft top. The design question is how the new integrated sport bar / roll cage works. Think unibody tub but still on a full frame. Will the upper roof rails be flush or recessed? If flush, then cloth can roll / slide like the Liberty Sky Slider. Plastic panels can also fit as on the Renegade. If cage is recessed, then a full cloth and full hardtop works.

Flush structure is cheaper to manufacture and cuts weight. Less wind noise, fewer leaks with internal drip rails.

Recessed structure is more of what we are use to but adds weight. Likely wind noise at header and water leaks but fewer since tub should be stiffer.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-09-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the new Wrangler. I'll be in the market soon and would like to weight its value against the present era JK.

I loved my '12 JKR so will just pick up a late model JKUR if the '17 doesn't dazzle.

I'm mostly interested in performance. I still have a pipe dream that Jeep will buck the EPA beast off it's sick and offer a 5.7l V8 in the Wrangler. I'd be lined up. But that's a dream.

In reality I'm interested in if they boost the 3.6l power and I assume offer an auto tranny with more gears.

But at any rate, it'll have a soft top.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My thoughts - wait until the thing comes out. Then, go check it out, mull it over, and if it doesn't have a soft top, figure out if your underwear is really bunched up about it. I will say that the lack of a soft top will make the next Jeep feel a little weird, if it's not available with one.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 2015 JKU it only came with a hard top. No big deal, I picked up a best top and am rolling along. Even saved a few bucks buying after market.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cajun JK
When I bought my 2015 JKU it only came with a hard top. No big deal, I picked up a best top and am rolling along. Even saved a few bucks buying after market.
Even if some future Wrangler did stop offering a soft top, there will be aftermarket manufacturers that would step up and sell one.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

What do you think we'll see happen to the 3.6l V6 and auto transmission?

Think they'll squeak a few more ponies out of the Pentastar?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arjeeper
What do you think we'll see happen to the 3.6l V6 and auto transmission?

Think they'll squeak a few more ponies out of the Pentastar?
possibly with a newer fuel map or somthing similar but i dont thing the 3.6 has much more room for any mechanical HP gains unless the up the displacement a bit or compression.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
possibly with a newer fuel map or somthing similar but i dont thing the 3.6 has much more room for any mechanical HP gains unless the up the displacement a bit or compression.
Did they not do away with the 3.6 overseas I thought it was dropped from the line up? Not that they will do that here since we always seems to get very limited drive train options where as the overseas crowd tend to see three to four. From what I read sometime last year there was a test mule that had a slightly stretch front frame that seemed to indicate the added length for the eight speed tranny in FCA's other offerings and think they don't have much choice to help aid in higher mpgs. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo four banger offering along with the diesel but only time will tell.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
That's my thought as well. Guessing it's about maxed out on output.

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Did they not do away with the 3.6 overseas I thought it was dropped from the line up? Not that they will do that here since we always seems to get very limited drive train options where as the overseas crowd tend to see three to four. From what I read sometime last year there was a test mule that had a slightly stretch front frame that seemed to indicate the added length for the eight speed tranny in FCA's other offerings and think they don't have much choice to help aid in higher mpgs. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo four banger offering along with the diesel but only time will tell.
I also think the 8 speed transmission is likely for fuel economy.

I didn't know about the Pentastar overseas. Interesting. But you're right, we don't really get the options typical in other markets.

Quick Reply: New Wrangler Rumors