Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No doors in the rain

Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No doors in the rain

I'm going to a local ORV Sunday and there is a chance of rain. It is supposed to be warm so I'm planning on taking my doors off but leaving the freedom panels/top on. Has anyone driven in the rain with this setup? It's about 30 minutes of highway driving to get there so I don't want to get soaked
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

You won't get that much actual rain coming in, but there will be some. The killer is that there's just nothing that compares to getting splashed by passing traffic, or freezing your nuts off from being wet and blasted with wind. I've driven with no doors in a frog-strangling torrential downpour, with my soft top tossed shut. I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I do it on purpose

Ok, well maybe everyone should do it just once. But only so you will know that if you think it's going to rain, you should probably put your doors on.

Jason
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got caught in the rain with the doors off once. Bottom line: It's going to get wet inside.

If it's pouring, you're likely to get wet. If it's a light drizzle, you may stay dry and most of the jeep may stay dry. It depends on wind direction too. Driving into the rain is a good day. Driving with a crosswind is not so great. Just make sure you have a fan that you can use when you get home to help speed up the drying process.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I've driven like this plenty of times, and I didn't get that wet. Is long as its warm it isn't that bad IMO.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

i might just carry the doors with me. between now and then the forecast could change so who knows.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I've driven like this plenty of times, and I didn't get that wet. Is long as its warm it isn't that bad IMO.

x2
Only thing I'd add is the rain gets on the inside of the windshield if you are topless or running a meshtop but with the Freedom panels you should be good.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all part of the fun!!! I've run mine with the doors off and rain without problems. You'll get a little wet, but if it's warm out, no worries.

I got caught in a snow storm in the Poconos about 15 years ago without my top or doors on. I was wearing shorts too (fortunately I had a parka in the back). Cranked up the heat and drove my TJ to warmer climates...got the craziest looks from people as I drove on by!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

As long as your top is on you'll be good. Iv been caught a few times. Only my left side got alil damp. But with that being said I wouldn't do it on purpose, but it would also depend on the chance of rain and how bad I wanted them off.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

It also depends on how much tire is protruding from your fenders. At 30-40 mph, my Duratracs flung a constant spray right under my left arm, and down my side.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maydaymike
It also depends on how much tire is protruding from your fenders. At 30-40 mph, my Duratracs flung a constant spray right under my left arm, and down my side.
Oh my gosh. THAT'S why the fenders are there. . . . .

Quick Reply: No doors in the rain