Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Old Fart Jeep. 2012 JK Sport

Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a different kind of question than most of you are used to!

I have had my JK for almost exactly one year now and have loved it. Wondering why I haven't had a Jeep my entire life.
My enjoyment comes from removing the Freedom Panels, the Top, or sometime installing the Bikini Top, and cruising back roads. The only offroad tracks I expect to encounter are gravel or dirt roads in rural or forested areas. May poke around the Yellowstone area in September.

I am 52, worn out and arthritic, and don't anticipate getting a lift or larger tires ... I can barely get in and out with the stock 16" steelies.

For those who have retained stock height and appearance ... what tire do you suggest for my limited purposes? I will probably stay with a 30 or 31" tire.
Also, are there any modifications you would suggest such as spacers, suspension, etc. that would help give an even more stable, safe, and fairly comfortable ride.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1902881008.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	458421  

Last edited by Ripley; 05-16-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you looking for a more aggressive look? better on road driving? Do you want to replace the steelies?

It all depends on what you want from your Jeep. Just be careful, once you begin to change things it's a slippery slope.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Would prefer a more aggressive look, but don't want to get mud tires if it won't handle properly on the highway.

Would like to keep the stock steelies, but not against purchasing some wider black rims if a wider tire would greatly improve the ride.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

I would suggest rubi take offs for both tires and shocks. The tires will give it a more aggressive look, be better off-road, and will fit stock. Plus they are available cheep!

The shocks will help with the ride.

If you want to raise the nose just a bit you could get some stiffer springs off a 4-door or just put some spacers up there.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to your local tire store and ask for a wider tire that retains the stock diameter of your current tire. Throw some new 16 inch rims to replace the ones you got and viola! New shoes greatly enhance the appearance of your Jeep!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

I would keep everything completely stock if you're going to stay with stock size tires. The stock suspension performs great offroad and it's hard to beat for a soft, quiet, and comfortable ride. I'd look for some Rubicon take offs or maybe even some Goodyear Duratracs as replacement tires. You can go up to 265/70/16s without any lift. Stay with a C or D load range. You could always upgrade your shocks to something like the Bilstein 5100s.

Last edited by river2c; 05-16-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would say rubi take offs for the price but if that's not a factor o would go with bfg ATS best tire I have ever used I live in Michigan and we had a tough winter last year on my stockies I had a hard time getting out of my driveway ! After I out my bfgs on I have not had to use 4x4 at all (well one time when though it would be a good idea to take it swimming.. )
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree on getting Rubi take offs. That's what I did on my 2012 JKU. Couldn't be happier. No regrets. Do it now while your existing wheel/tires are still worth money. I bought rubi takeoffs for $850 and sold my sport wheels for. $600. I don't think you'll be as lucky getting money for the steelies. Best think is to carry some card with you that have your phone number. When you see someone in a parking lot with worn out tires on steelies, put your card in their windshield wiper offering them a good deal on your wheels.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. It's tough getting old, but it sure has been a fun ride. I'll holler back when/if I make any changes.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggest wheel spacers ( Spidertrax or similar) to increase your track. With the increased width of the wheels from driver to passenger side, turns are much flatter with reduced body roll. Your rig will look better; it will handle better; and you still have stock ride height. You can rattle can the stock steelies for looks. Keep your current tires until they need replacement. And when you do need new rubber, All Terrain type tires better suit what you do.

Once you start to mess with rake by placing a spacer in the front coil; removing the front air dam; going with aggressive mud tires, then your mpg takes a hit.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 05-16-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Old Fart Jeep. 2012 JK Sport