Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question on buying a used Pop Up Tent Trailer

Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on buying a used Pop Up Tent Trailer

Im looking to by a used pop up tent trailer. Biggest question I have is......What is the process of buying a trailer from a private party if the trailer is not yet paid off? if they still owe on it and dont have a clean title and pink slip in hand. Trying to do my homeworkj before i go kicking tires. Any input?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, you're Scott right? I think I got my 33's from you.

I've done this with several cars, both buying and selling. You can go to the seller's bank to pay it off and get the title, but sometimes titles are not held locally but, can get sent to the branch. If this is not an option, the only other safe option is to use an escrow service.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

It depends on the state laws. Here in Massachusetts they don't issues title's. If there was a loan the bank is out of luck if they decided to not pay as they have no proof of ownership.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Yep, varies by state. Here in OK trailers don't even require a tag/license plate, though an owner may purchase an optional one if he drives it out of state. It is $7, if you can find a tag agent with one on the shelf.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canibeat
Hey, you're Scott right? I think I got my 33's from you.

I've done this with several cars, both buying and selling. You can go to the seller's bank to pay it off and get the title, but sometimes titles are not held locally but, can get sent to the branch. If this is not an option, the only other safe option is to use an escrow service.
Yep, thats me. How are you liking those 33's?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sar2547
Yep, thats me. How are you liking those 33's?
They're great, but they're not 35's. At least I'll be able to spend what would be re-gearing money on some headlights
Old 04-25-2014, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canibeat
They're great, but they're not 35's. At least I'll be able to spend what would be re-gearing money on some headlights
Funny that you mention that. I was with my wife in the jeep tonight and I commented how shitty the headlights were. Then we got on our street and I hit the LEDs and she said "wow, that's bad ass". Not sure if she was being a sarcastic b@#ch or not?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blue project
It depends on the state laws. Here in Massachusetts they don't issues title's. If there was a loan the bank is out of luck if they decided to not pay as they have no proof of ownership.
Funny, I lived in Massachusetts for a long time, owned 3 trailers including one pop up, and they all had titles. In fact, I needed the title to register them.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive

Funny, I lived in Massachusetts for a long time, owned 3 trailers including one pop up, and they all had titles. In fact, I needed the title to register them.
I bought mine in NH and they don't issues titles so that might have something to do with it. Sold it without a title and never had an issue.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blue project

I bought mine in NH and they don't issues titles so that might have something to do with it. Sold it without a title and never had an issue.
And I'm assuming you never registered it in Massachusetts.

Quick Reply: Question on buying a used Pop Up Tent Trailer