Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question for my Mountain & Road biking friends

Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for my Mountain & Road biking friends

I just started mountain biking and was looking for a bike rack for my JKU. I stumbled upon the Thule 963 Pro which mounts to the spare tire carrier, it says it fits both regulars and oversize tires but I wan to know for sure if this bike rack will work with a 33" & 35" tires. Is anyone else running this bike rack with either size tire I listed? Do you like it, would you have with a different rack? If so which brand & model?

Thanks in advance fellas
Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the thule rack that goes in the hitch receiver, with an extension stub to clear the 35" tire on my OR Fab tire rack.

Loved it worked awesome and slick as monkey snot to take on and off.

Holds tow bikes no problem and three kids bikes no problem
Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly, if you remove the front wheel, the bike will fit in the back no problem. I would save the money on the rack and just get a good trunk liner to keep it clean back there.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmot mb
I had the thule rack that goes in the hitch receiver, with an extension stub to clear the 35" tire on my OR Fab tire rack.

I though about those but I like the idea of it folding down when notin use and I can swing the tailgate when ever I want and dnt have to lower the receiver hitch style rack. *Thanks I may consider it thought

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Honestly, if you remove the front wheel, the bike will fit in the back no problem. I would save the money on the rack and just get a good trunk liner to keep it clean back there.
thats what ive been doing for the last 2 weeks but I dnt want to keep taking out my kids car seats every time I ride. There are a few trails on my way home from work that I've been hitting for 2hrs after work 2 days out of the week plus Saturday & Sunday rides, Id like to hit them everyday if possible and weather permit.
I drop the kids off to day care 3days out the week so I need a rack, if only I was single and didn't have kids lol j/k

Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marmot mb

I use the same rack, very nice. Works perfectly, old pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5144.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	469886
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
I use the same rack, very nice. Works perfectly, old pic:
Attachment 469886
I'm really staring to consider this rack, btw nice bike!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler
I'm really staring to consider this rack, btw nice bike!
thank ya. It really is a great rack. I don't use an extension, so I can't put the rack latched in the upright position. Very easy to use, holds the bikes nice and snug. I originally used a Thule 'Spare me' spare mounted rack, was nice but the bikes clanked against each other and the spare, scratches all over bikes and spare
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Name:	JK1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	469901

Name:	JK.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	469902

I am using the Kuat NV and it is perfect. I did buy an extension but I only use if it im carrying a second bike. The quality of the rack is the best ive seen, I had the yakima spare tire rack and I did not like it at all.. The kuat is more than i wanted to spend but for the last 7 months its been better than i expected..
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a 1UP USA rack after looking at several systems. I am able to open the door fully with the rack in the lowered position, which was a requirement for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3928096114.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	469915   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-77940385.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	469917   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-47675830.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	469918  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP- those spare tire bike carriers are convenient but there are some trade offs. The weight of the spare and bikes rest on the tailgate and hinges, and depending on your frame, mounting is an issue. Tight frames mean creative mounting or the use of those stem to seat post extensions that allow the bikes to bounce. I used the Thule Carry Me for a year and the thing other than bouncing that made me switch was it took the sidewall off the stock tire when I took it off.

Now I use a tray mount Yakima with a drop hitch extension. One key for the bike cable lock and secures the carrier to the hitch. If you go with a hitch extension, get one with an anti-sway pin. Tray mounts are fast and easy, about 5 seconds to secure a bike.

Quick Reply: Question for my Mountain & Road biking friends