Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

remote start

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

While at the dealer today for my slow clock issue and general maintenance i inquired about a factory remote start system. They said they are no problem but pricey. $480 installed and i will get two more keys with it. Im not thinking its too bad considering no wiring problems or problems with my factory locks and alarm plus two more programed keys. Plus no way for them to weasel out of any future warranty work and blame something on an aftermarket system.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would seriously look at an aftermarket remote start. They offer better range, 2 way communication, and you still can have all your existing door locks work, and they can usually be installed for as good if not better price.
I have factory remote, and it pales in comparison to the Compustar I had installed.
Plus you can get one with an alarm which will cost more, but give you some options for security as well as remote start capability.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

ive been thinking about putting one in my jeep. those cold mornings and nights suck!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

I always wanted to do that but worried about water crossings and things related to off roading
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangled
I would seriously look at an aftermarket remote start. They offer better range, 2 way communication, and you still can have all your existing door locks work, and they can usually be installed for as good if not better price.
I have factory remote, and it pales in comparison to the Compustar I had installed.
Plus you can get one with an alarm which will cost more, but give you some options for security as well as remote start capability.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Everything you say is correct and some nice units are out there. Im just worried about my warranty 3or4 years down the road.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Have one installed in my JKU...Nothing better...On these insane cold days - i need it...
I say the dealer price installed with 2 keys is good...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think as long as you have it installed by a shop that knows what they are doing, there should be no problems. I just wouldn't let some kid that makes minimum wage working at best buy install it. Had mine done by a reputable shop that stands behind the work they do, and have not had any issues.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I paid maybe $240 for the mopar kit on amazon, and another $95 at the dealer to cut the 2 included keys and program it after I installed the parts. Easily one of my favorite "additions" since I bought the Jeep.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SCHLEPPN02
I paid maybe $240 for the mopar kit on amazon, and another $95 at the dealer to cut the 2 included keys and program it after I installed the parts. Easily one of my favorite "additions" since I bought the Jeep.
So $150 or so for the install. Not to bad. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

DO NOT GO AFTERMARKET! I had one put on my Silverado at a local well known shop. It ended up causing problem after problem with my entire electrical system. Driving home at midnight the entire truck would shut off all lights randomly. Go to the dealer, it'll be warrantied and save you hassle in the long run if you have any problems.

Quick Reply: remote start