Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Shipping the Jeep

Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping the Jeep

So I am getting hitched in April, and being a Geologist as well as Jeep guy naturally we decided to visit Arches, Zion and Canyonlands for the honeymoon. I live in Houston now and so we do not want to spend 4 days of our vacation driving up to Utah (unless somebody wants to buy me supercharger for a wedding present ). So, we are planning on flying, but it's Utah, I would feel like I was cheating on my Jeep if I had to resort to renting a different one for the week or 2 we are up there.

My question is; Does anybody have experience shipping vehicles, or know an affordable reliable option for getting my Jeep up to Utah (Vegas is close enough to Zion) ahead of us?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't know anything about shipping a Jeep, but if Las Vegas isn't a mandatory part of your plans, I'd pass on Zion. While an impressive and beautiful canyon, it's crowded--so much so that you often have to park and take free shuttles to see the best sights. Capitol Reef is way closer to the Moab area, one of the least visited of the national parks because of its remoteness, and if I were a geologist I'm sure it's a heckuva lot more interesting. And you can explore it in your Jeep ...

If you're driving home, you should consider visits to Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. At Monument Valley you can stay right on the park at the Navajo lodge. Or, there is a nearby hotel with a great view of the valley, if not quite as good as the one from the Navajo lodge. My view from my room balcony at that latter one earlier this year ...

Finally, Canyon de Chelly allows entry with 4WD vehicles if you hire a Navajo guide. What better way to end your honeymoon than to spend that final night sleeping in a cave? Think of the great stories you can tell!

Here's a video about our night at Canyon de Chelly with Antelope House Tours, our guide service ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHiDx_wVz-0
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I don't know anything about shipping a Jeep, but if Las Vegas isn't a mandatory part of your plans, I'd pass on Zion. While an impressive and beautiful canyon, it's crowded--so much so that you often have to park and take free shuttles to see the best sights. Capitol Reef is way closer to the Moab area, one of the least visited of the national parks because of its remoteness, and if I were a geologist I'm sure it's a heckuva lot more interesting. And you can explore it in your Jeep ...

If you're driving home, you should consider visits to Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. At Monument Valley you can stay right on the park at the Navajo lodge. Or, there is a nearby hotel with a great view of the valley, if not quite as good as the one from the Navajo lodge. My view from my room balcony at that latter one earlier this year ...

Finally, Canyon de Chelly allows entry with 4WD vehicles if you hire a Navajo guide. What better way to end your honeymoon than to spend that final night sleeping in a cave? Think of the great stories you can tell!

Here's a video about our night at Canyon de Chelly with Antelope House Tours, our guide service ...

Vegas is just where we are thinking about flying in that could change we will not be spending any time there. Zion is a MUST!!! I love that park, Angels landing is amazing and if you are not afraid of a little rappelling (which we neither of us happen to be) it is easy to get away from the crowds. I have spent a lot of time all over Utah in and out of my Jeep, I do not think we are lacking in ideas on places to go once we get there even thought the cave idea is pretty good and I have not done that one yet.
The main question we are facing right now is 'will it be economical to get my Jeep up there and back?' and that is where I was hoping people in this forum could help. I did a Google search and found some companies but I am not liking the price quotes I am seeing so I hope somebody here knows something I do not!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shipping a vehicle is going to be expensive as hell. Not sure if you have thought of this, but maybe have a friend drive your Jeep out for you a head of time, meet you at the airport, friend grabs flight back home, you have your Jeep with you and then just drive it home. Pay for the gas and your friends flight and throw in a few bucks and I bet you might find someone that might do it for you.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by corupt1
Shipping a vehicle is going to be expensive as hell. Not sure if you have thought of this, but maybe have a friend drive your Jeep out for you a head of time, meet you at the airport, friend grabs flight back home, you have your Jeep with you and then just drive it home. Pay for the gas and your friends flight and throw in a few bucks and I bet you might find someone that might do it for you.
Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind, but even that option is expensive... Actually that is why we were thinking of flying into Vegas, I figured whoever drove it out there could take a 4 day weeekend and make a little trip out of it.

I had heard somewhere that freight via the Railroads is super cheap but I am not sure if that is true, or where to start.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusjack
... Zion is a MUST!!! I love that park, Angels landing is amazing and if you are not afraid of a little rappelling (which we neither of us happen to be) it is easy to get away from the crowds. ...
Ah, okay. I was taking your "Jeep guy and geologist" remark a little too literally.

Did you try searching for shipping info on the forum? This isn't the first time this question has been asked. If the forum's search doesn't help, you might try Google with a site specific search of JKF.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amtrak offers Auto Train, aside from that, I shipped my Land Rover once about 1000 miles and it cost me about $1k one way. Personally, I would drive it. Easily done in two days and passing through either NM or CO. I'm in Denver and about 5 hours from Moab. Manage the trip that suits your needs and budget.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Ah, okay. I was taking your "Jeep guy and geologist" remark a little too literally.

Did you try searching for shipping info on the forum? This isn't the first time this question has been asked. If the forum's search doesn't help, you might try Google with a site specific search of JKF.
I think you just misunderstood the question, it's ok though those things happen. Don't get me wrong those are nice pictures and your response was a good excuse for you to post them but we already have a pretty good idea of what we are doing on the trip.

Yeah, I might have a low posts count but I have been around this form for years. I am more of a thread stalker I just read and learn the best I can without typically commenting on every topic. That being said I did a quick search and didn't find anything with the few key words I typed in, so I figured if I started a new thread with what I perceived to be more logical key words it might also help somebody down the line...
Old 10-22-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Amtrak offers Auto Train, aside from that, I shipped my Land Rover once about 1000 miles and it cost me about $1k one way. Personally, I would drive it. Easily done in two days and passing through either NM or CO. I'm in Denver and about 5 hours from Moab. Manage the trip that suits your needs and budget.
Yeah, I saw the Amtrak thing but the way I was reading it they only offered that to few cities and we had to stay with the car... Union Pacific also offered a car hauling service but when I went to get a quote it asked me for my VIN and some other information I was not ready to give them... We are both gonna be tight on vacation time so if I can avoid it (for a reasonable cost) i would rather spend that 1.5 days hiking or wheeling somewhere, but I might just have to suck it up and make the drive
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I say drive out and put the marriage to the test lol.

Quick Reply: Shipping the Jeep