Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it a sin to keep a Jeep stock?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a sin to keep a Jeep stock?

Two years ago I sold my TJ. It was built up pretty well 4" lift and 33"s etc etc. This weekend I bought a used 2015 JK. I'm in love with the ride. So much more comfortable than my old rig. It's my daily driver and I really want to lift it and such, but I'm afraid I will ruin the ride. I don't plan on doing any off roading and the JK looks good stock.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions? Are there any kits and tire set ups that will keep the quality of the handling and comfortable ride?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Keep it stock, you'll appreciate the returns in the long run. You'll run into less pieces magically wearing out too quickly, poor gas mileage, and seeking the never-ending "end of the build".

If you lift it, keep it mild and go with quality. Stay with all terrain tires so that portion of the ride doesn't degrade. Even if you add knobby tires, it'll still ride better than many of those TJ's simply due to wheelbase.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it stock

A good set of rims & tires will change the look completely. Running a fat 33" tire on stock height looks mean.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't even see having a Jeep if you don't 4 wheel but I can never understand why people who don't wheel feel compelled to do a bunch of stuff to their Jeep like they off road. Is it all about what others think ? Save your money and keep it stock, you'd be a fool to mess with it.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Absolutely nothing wrong with running a stock rig doing the same for now and tons are on the road that way.
2) Ride quality is really decent but not perfect. If you want a mild improvement for a DD look at the Teraflex performance leveling kit since there are no options in between that and a 2"-2.5" lift(which will give you 3"-3.5" on a light stock JK). Leveled my daughter JK and I'm 95% sure I will be going that way for my DD + 33's.
3) As Joe_B said wheels and tires will go a long way, slightly aggressive tires alone are an improvement IMO and stay away from D or E rated if possible.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahreno
I don't even see having a Jeep if you don't 4 wheel but I can never understand why people who don't wheel feel compelled to do a bunch of stuff to their Jeep like they off road. Is it all about what others think ? Save your money and keep it stock, you'd be a fool to mess with it.
Sometimes guys just like the way things look man...

It's gonna be years before I feel comfortable taking my 2017 wheeling. Even with a decent income and it acting as a 3rd vehicle, I just have a hard time taking something that expensive offroad right away. That being said, I've been riding ATV's since the early 80's and that has always been enough to satisfy my offroading itch.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had front and rear bumpers and sliders on my jk for the past year or so, put it all back to stock to trade it in but re-fell in love with it. There's just something classic about a nice clean jeep that I love.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Nothing wrong with staying stock. I lifted my 07 JKU Sahara and went back to stock. Just got a 10 JKU Mountain and keeping it stock.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

The only person's opinion that matters about your jeep is your own. If you like it stock, no issues leaving it that way. That said, I think the main problem with lifting a jeep is that most people try to short cut it or do it on the cheap. If you can't commit to doing a quality lift and addressing caster in some manner, it's better to just stay stock.

There are a lot of things you can do to tweak the look of your jeep without messing with the suspension. bumpers, wheels, tires, sliders/steps, headlights, grills. Heck, if you leave it stock you should always have cheap OEM replacement parts available that people have taken off during their builds.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Keep it stock. The next owner will appreciate the blank canvas

Quick Reply: Is it a sin to keep a Jeep stock?