Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft door security?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft door security?

Anybody with soft doors find a good way to secure them to their jeep so would be thiefs can't just take them off? I know I could run a cable lock thru each of them but wondered if anyone else found a better(easier) way.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you still use the OEM torx bolts that screw onto the door pins?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Or these assuming your soft doors have a threaded pin like the OEM doors do....

Amazon.com: mcgard door locks
Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuffy makes a hinge lock.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
Can you still use the OEM torx bolts that screw onto the door pins?
I don't know. I don't have the doors yet. There isn't much online about this issue. I guess I will keep searching for info.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

My soft doors (Best top?) just drop into the hinges. If someone can get the door open/unlatched, then they could lift them right out. Short of using a cable lock of sorts on the inside somewhere, I don't really see the point. And if they did want to steal them and found them cable locked, I would think they'd just trash them.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
My soft doors (Best top?) just drop into the hinges. If someone can get the door open/unlatched, then they could lift them right out. Short of using a cable lock of sorts on the inside somewhere, I don't really see the point. And if they did want to steal them and found them cable locked, I would think they'd just trash them.
That's what I have and I lock them and padlock them with chain to the seat post legs.... I don't think anyone's going to trash them here if they can't steal them and I'd rather patch /door then have to spend the money to replace them
Old 04-22-2015, 05:03 PM
DJ1
Former Member

If the pin/hinge lock options don't work and you're looking to go cable, I'd recommend the following:

Strattec 7018452 - Strattec? 6' BOLT Cable Lock for 93-15 Jeep® Vehicles - Quadratec

OR

Strattec 7017420 - Strattec? Ignition Key-alike Padlock for 93-15 Jeep® Vehicles - Quadratec + whatever cable you want to use

** Both will key to your ignition key so it's one less key to screw around with.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

My Bestop soft doors have no threads on the hinge pins- as stated above, they just drop in. That's one feature I really like about them, since I can be doorless in just a few seconds and the doors are easily stored in the cargo area.

The Bestop doors come with a latch that locks. That would probably deter most casual thieves from taking the doors off the jeep. My experience (thankfully not my own jeep, knock on wood) is that thieves will often just cut through what they can't open. I leave mine unlocked all the time.

I commute in to DC everyday and park in the garage in my building. I also run errands and go other places in the DC/Baltimore/Annapolis area with my soft doors all the time. Over the past 2 years I have run the doors, I have yet to have any issues.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Bestop 2 Piece Soft Doors have a lock in the handle. It's there for locking the door "TO" the JK not for locking "THE" JK up.

I have locked my doors several times with the top down and no windows and you get the strangest looks from people.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Lock .jpg
Views:	653
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	607779  

Quick Reply: Soft door security?