Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

stock stereo with new speakers?

Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock stereo with new speakers?

I know this has been answered as I have been doing lots of research on the topic, but what are your opinions on keeping a stock, base model head unit while upgrading the speakers and putting in a powered sub?

I like the look of the stock h/u but want a better sounding system. I've read that a line out converter is the way to go. thoughts? testimonies? I would also most likely be installing an amp for at least the front speakers.

any feedback is appreciated
Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking to do something similar with my stock HU, except even less than what you want to do, I'm probably just going to change out the stock speakers. Quadratec and others sell a drop-in speaker upgrade from Kicker and it's supposed to make a big difference. There's plenty of options for a stock speaker upgrade, check out Crutchfield.com. For guys that like big sound, just a speaker replacement is probably not enough, but my goals aren't to have a crazy sound system, I just want a fuller and brighter sound (being able to hear some bass, and having the high end not sound like someone singing over a telephone). I'm sure adding an amp and a boom-tube will help even more in your case.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is my plan, I am going to replace the stock speakers with Kicker and call it good.

Sent from my Jeep using smoke signals.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I'm looking to do something similar with my stock HU, except even less than what you want to do, I'm probably just going to change out the stock speakers. Quadratec and others sell a drop-in speaker upgrade from Kicker and it's supposed to make a big difference. There's plenty of options for a stock speaker upgrade, check out Crutchfield.com. For guys that like big sound, just a speaker replacement is probably not enough, but my goals aren't to have a crazy sound system, I just want a fuller and brighter sound (being able to hear some bass, and having the high end not sound like someone singing over a telephone). I'm sure adding an amp and a boom-tube will help even more in your case.
correct me if I'm wrong but, I've heard that JUST adding new speakers won't really do anything because of the stock stereo's limitations from the factory, which is why a line out converter.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twotonevert
That is my plan, I am going to replace the stock speakers with Kicker and call it good.

Sent from my Jeep using smoke signals.
you're in the same boat as jk_sea. i think a line out converter is necessary for upgraded speakers to sound good with the stock h/u

Last edited by mckgardon_19; 01-02-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the very stock head unit (base model, no nav, no u connect, plain as they come)

I added a kicker marine amp and the kicker DS line (same model as the kickers quadratec sells) for all 4 speakers and let me tell you, it sounds so much better than stock.

I used the PAC AOEM-CHR3 adapter for $35 and that is the best LOC you can get as far as adding an aftermarket amp. Plug and play adapter that gives you a 4 channel RCA output with no cutting, splicing, etc.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mckgardon_19
correct me if I'm wrong but, I've heard that JUST adding new speakers won't really do anything because of the stock stereo's limitations from the factory, which is why a line out converter.
Neither the stock head unit nor the speakers are great. Just swapping out the speakers will give you fuller sound. But that doesn't tackle the fact that the head unit still isn't putting out a lot of power. The speaker swap option is for people that don't mind the stock head unit in terms of functionality, or listening within the volume range that the stock head unit puts out with stock speakers. The net result is a fuller, brighter sound within those volumes when the speakers are replaced with better ones.

If you want to be able to crank at high volume and have everything tight and crisp with really punchy bass, then yeah, you're going to want to add an amp after the head unit.

I've done this before on a couple of my cars, for example, a 94 Chevy Camaro with 4 speakers and the crappiest of crappy Delco tape deck. It really does make a world of difference when you just change out the speakers (which are often paper and have some weak cruddy surround, small magnets, etc).

Last edited by jk_sea; 01-02-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
I have the very stock head unit (base model, no nav, no u connect, plain as they come)

I added a kicker marine amp and the kicker DS line (same model as the kickers quadratec sells) for all 4 speakers and let me tell you, it sounds so much better than stock.

I used the PAC AOEM-CHR3 adapter for $35 and that is the best LOC you can get as far as adding an aftermarket amp. Plug and play adapter that gives you a 4 channel RCA output with no cutting, splicing, etc.
So I would use the PAC AOEM-CHR3 in place of an amp? Or connect it between the hu and amp?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea

Neither the stock head unit nor the speakers are great. Just swapping out the speakers will give you fuller sound. But that doesn't tackle the fact that the head unit still isn't putting out a lot of power. The speaker swap option is for people that don't mind the stock head unit in terms of functionality, or listening within the volume range that the stock head unit puts out with stock speakers. The net result is a fuller, brighter sound within those volumes when the speakers are replaced with better ones.

If you want to be able to crank at high volume and have everything tight and crisp with really punchy bass, then yeah, you're going to want to add an amp after the head unit.

I've done this before on a couple of my cars, for example, a 94 Chevy Camaro with 4 speakers and the crappiest of crappy Delco tape deck. It really does make a world of difference when you just change out the speakers (which are often paper and have some weak cruddy surround, small magnets, etc).
Yeah I know what you mean. For my taste, I want it to be loud and have full range so an amp is the way I think I'm going to go, along with the powered sub. Should I use components for the front speakers or are coaxials ok?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mckgardon_19
So I would use the PAC AOEM-CHR3 in place of an amp? Or connect it between the hu and amp?
Between the head unit and amp. It is just a harness that goes between the stock speaker harness and the head unit and it gives you 4 channel RCA outputs. Then you hook an aftermarket amp into these outputs, then your new speakers from the amp

Quick Reply: stock stereo with new speakers?