Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Suspension upgrade

Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension upgrade

I currently have a rough country 4" lift that was on my jeep when I bought it. It has 2" coil spacers in front to "level it out". It's pretty much just coil spring and shocks. Control arms and everything else seems to be factory. I plan on replacing it all tho with better quality stuff. But my question is where should I start? Coil springs, track bars, control arms, shocks, or discos.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started out with a 3" level kit then upgraded front & rear jks adjustable track bars when I got the bucks. Then saved up some more for metal cloak adjustable control arms with bilstein 5160 shocks.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexer07
I currently have a rough country 4" lift that was on my jeep when I bought it. It has 2" coil spacers in front to "level it out". It's pretty much just coil spring and shocks. Control arms and everything else seems to be factory. I plan on replacing it all tho with better quality stuff. But my question is where should I start? Coil springs, track bars, control arms, shocks, or discos.
I would start with adj trac bars to re center your axles, then move to control arms to correct the castor and pinion angles. That way you will get the geometry back on track and better steering and ride quality. Then you can move to quick disco's and upgraded or longer shocks depending on the direction you want to take your rig. That way you have the basis to adjust to go bigger if you want in the future without having to overhaul the suspension again. Hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh and if your running a 2 door, I would highly recommend at least a front aftermarket driveshaft if you wheel. Yours will not last long on any lift over 3". Especially a 2 door.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreenJK07

I would start with adj trac bars to re center your axles, then move to control arms to correct the castor and pinion angles. That way you will get the geometry back on track and better steering and ride quality. Then you can move to quick disco's and upgraded or longer shocks depending on the direction you want to take your rig. That way you have the basis to adjust to go bigger if you want in the future without having to overhaul the suspension again. Hope this helps!
Thanks. I will get me some track bars first unless I run across a good deal on some of the others in the time being. I've noticed my rear control arms are popping when I go to take off. Any clue to this
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be your control arm bushings or they could just be loose. try re-torquing them
Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
could be your control arm bushings or they could just be loose. try re-torquing them
I don't think the control arms are long enough
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Can anyone help me understand how to gain more flex when it comes to shocks with a 4" lift
Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shock length is the main thing in flex... But you have to make sure it fits. Look for one about 17 collapsed and 29 to 30 long
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Shock length is the main thing in flex... But you have to make sure it fits. Look for one about 17 collapsed and 29 to 30 long
Alright thanks.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade