Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thinking of buying JKU, what to get?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying JKU, what to get?

I'm thinking of buying a JKU and will have about $35k to spend on the Jeep, lift, tires, wheels, and a few other goodies. Right now I am thinking of a 2013 JKU Sport with the following:

Automatic
3:73's
Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel
17" XD Addicts
315 Duratracs
Procal

Anything else I should think about? This will be a daily driver and rarely see anything other than some ranch roads and light trail use to get to a few fishing spots. I'm still unsure what color to get and if I should bother with the S package with power windows and locks. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

In my opinion the power windows and door locks on the JKU are worth the money. It's nice to be able to roll down all 4 of the windows while you're driving or roll them back up when it starts to rain. I can see on a two door, you can just lean over and crank the window up or down by hand although not ideal but it still doable. But on the four-door the rear windows are just not accessible by the driver.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkcruzen
I'm thinking of buying a JKU and will have about $35k to spend on the Jeep, lift, tires, wheels, and a few other goodies. Right now I am thinking of a 2013 JKU Sport with the following:

Automatic
3:73's
Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel
17" XD Addicts
315 Duratracs
Procal

Anything else I should think about? This will be a daily driver and rarely see anything other than some ranch roads and light trail use to get to a few fishing spots. I'm still unsure what color to get and if I should bother with the S package with power windows and locks. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost?
With the 35's you'll most definatly need the 373 gears with the auto. Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've only have 285 Duratracs. For what your doing you may want to not do the 315's they are a good amount heavier and your mpg will be terrible. I get about 16-17 now. You should also look into AEV's 2.5 dualsport xt lift, my jeep rides so much better than it did when I got it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2032135173.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	390359  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

X's 2 on the power window/locks. In the summer you are not gonna want to pull over just to roll down all of the windows or roll them up when it starts to rain.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a bone stock 2012 JKU Sport and I love it. I run no doors half the year so power doors didn't even cross my mind. I paid 28k out the door for everything. I saved a lot of money by going with a cheaper model, especially considering how I want to modify my rig.

28k out the door plus the 6k I've put in to mods still has me around 34k in to the Jeep.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Until just recently I had a 2007 Unlimited with manual windows, door locks and outside mirrors and did not mind it at all. I was able to reach all of the window cranks and door locks from the driver's seat, though the passenger rear was a bit of a reach. I liked the simplicity, it reminded me of the cars I had when I was younger, and I was glad to save the money for more important things.
The downsides? (1) if you have young kids, you won't be able to lock them out from opening the windows or lock them in for safety; (2) if you are not the only driver, manually adjusting the outside mirrors will be a pain; (3) the resale will likely be lower.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default jeep

[IMG][/IMG]

you could get one like this , and have about 30 grand left over for mods!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
With the 35's you'll most definatly need the 373 gears with the auto. Welcome to the forum.
Confused, why would he want 373 with 35's? Wouldn't 4:10's with dana 44's be even better?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flienlow
Confused, why would he want 373 with 35's? Wouldn't 4:10's with dana 44's be even better?
I was kind of feeling the same way...

Lockers, D44s, 4.10s, rock rails, and mudders out the door. If 35s are as large as you're going, the Rubi is perfect IMO.

BUT, then I read his intended use for the Jeep. A sport should do fine, and I can understand the want for a lift and tires (JKU looks perfect with 35s imo).

I'll chime in with things to consider:

-Power windows and locks. You're spending hefty cash on a brand new vehicle as a daily driver. You want this. Period.
-Hard top. Again, this is a daily driver. You have no security for items in your Jeep with only the soft top. I would consider this a need. Others will wish to hang me for saying so.
-Sound system. The Sport system sucks balls. On a daily driver brand new vehicle, this may annoy you.
-A/C. Because.... A/C.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying JKU, what to get?