Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire Weights and Lifting Assist

Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Weights and Lifting Assist

So I have this idea that I have been developing to help make it a little easier to lift up my tires when I rotate them or have to do a tire change on the trail. I am running 35s and man those things are heavy, and its really awkward and difficult to lift them up and get the lugs to line up. I weighed my bf goodrich mud terrain spare, that and its wheel weighs in at 92lbs . My main tires are the Nitto Trail Grapplers, I haven't weighed those yet. Now I know that 37s and 40s would only be heavier still.

I got a couple of questions for you. What size and weight of the tires and wheels combo are you running? I want to get an average weight for the different sizes out there.

Would you be interested in something that would help offload the weight to make it easier for you to change your tires? It would be compact enough that you can throw it in your trail recovery bag, so it would be useful for both the garage and the trials.

I did some research to see if there is anything at there that is remotely similar to this and I found nothing. The only thing that I found are tire lifters you would find in a dedicated tire shop. Nothing for the average consumer. So if you know of something let me know, I would like to check it out.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

An easy way I was taught was to sit on my ass and roll the tire between my feet and use my feet to pick up the tire raising or lowering one of my feet to rotate the wheel and slide them onto the lugs. Don't really see the need in a "tool"
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tires will weigh about 118 a piece and rims are about 33lbs a piece. So about 150lbs each. If you set the axle to the right height its not bad, but if i have someone around i just ask for help.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

meep97 thats the way I do it too, its still hard to do. By the 4th one, I am pretty wiped. I can get it lifted, the hard part is to try to rotate it so the lugs line up, even if you get everything lined up as best as you can.

Maertz what size tires you running?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bryantwhite
meep97 thats the way I do it too, its still hard to do. By the 4th one, I am pretty wiped. I can get it lifted, the hard part is to try to rotate it so the lugs line up, even if you get everything lined up as best as you can.

Maertz what size tires you running?
41.5s will be those weights. These will be on 8x6.5 Rims though.

My old tires were 35" mud grapplers and they were 82lbs on 26lb rims. So 110 there.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Put it on your knees- literally sit on your ass and lift it with your knees. Unfortunately if you can't lift the tires then it's probably not prudent to have them in case you run into Murphy's Law without someone to help you.

I've also seen people use pry bars to maneuver tires but keep in mind that it may also be a little tough on softer surfaces.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Karls that's what I do and can do, it's still awkward though. Just thinking of a way to make that easier.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I lift tire assemblies that are almost 500lbs at work, so I chuckled when I found this thread.

Military Trucks, Wheels & Tires for sale - Oshkosh Equipment Sales, LLC

HEMTT Wrecker operator/Mechanic
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepingib
I lift tire assemblies that are almost 500lbs at work, so I chuckled when I found this thread.

Military Trucks, Wheels & Tires for sale - Oshkosh Equipment Sales, LLC

HEMTT Wrecker operator/Mechanic

Geez so how do you lift them?

Anyone else have any inputs on weights, thoughts?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

To get them on the hub we use a 6 foot long bar, and balance the tire one the end and lift the other. It isn't impossible to do by yourself, but I don't recommend it. Other than that to get them off of the trucks we use a hand crank winch.

Quick Reply: Tire Weights and Lifting Assist