Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Too Many Choices - Pros & Cons

Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Many Choices - Pros & Cons

So, I am trying to buy my first Jeep, but I keep going back and forth between models. I am leaning towards the Sport because of base cost. I am worried about sacrificing capability. What are the trade offs of the Sport vs. Rubicon?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Right off the bat, with the Rubi you get D44 front and rear...and geared @ 4.10. Automatic sway bar disconnect...then all your interior upgrades.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951JEEP
Right off the bat, with the Rubi you get D44 front and rear...and geared @ 4.10. Automatic sway bar disconnect...then all your interior upgrades.
4.10 gears are only standard on manual transmission Rubicons. Automatics get 3.73s unless you option them.

To the OP - keep in mind that any wrangler is going to be an extremely capable off-road vehicle, Rubi or otherwise. It really depends on what you're doing with it, but I can tell you that I've never run into anything that my Sport couldn't get me through that a Rubicon would have. Of course, I'm in Florida and we don't do much rock-crawling down here. I can tell you that I know more than a couple folks with Rubicons who feel that 4:10 gears with a 4:1 transfer case is REALLY low for most general trail runs.

Good luck - I'm sure you're going to love whatever you get.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

The Rubicon has a lot of really great standard features, but with that comes a certain price tag. Do you need a Rubi, no you don't. Sure, lower gears, e lockers, and e sway bar disco, but you can add all that later as you see fit, and do a better job of it if you do your homework.
You'll find that any Jk is very capable, and a Sport sometimes may just take a little bit more skill to get through an obstacle.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

If you think you're going to lift it and get new wheels and tires pretty soon, and don't need all the bells and whistles, get the base Sport with the steel wheels. The only thing I wish I had that a Rubi has is that 4:1 transfer case, and you see those come up for sale occasionally.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figure everything can be added later with better components. What will likely be the hardest to find is the 4:1 transfer case. You usually have to wait for someone to put an Atlas in their JK to find one. Everything else is readily available (or not needed). Electric sway bar disconnects are nice as long as they are working, but I usually manually disconnect mine. Dana 44 front axle is a small upgrade to the Dana 30 in the sport, but still not good enough to run large tires on hard trails without upgrading most of it. The one thing that you may find the need for that is not in the sport are lockers, especially if you go on trails where tires are off the ground. The need for the upgrades really depends on the type of trails you will eventually take. I say it that way because you may think easy fire roads are moderate trails, then you end up running hard trails after you gain some experience and confidence
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Yep ask yourself what kind of terrain you'll traverse... The questions will answer themselves after doing a bit of reading on here
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to call myself out.... I got a Rubi because I'm a spoiled brat. When I buy a car I typically get the highest trim level I can. I do this because, knowing myself, had I purchased a sport or Sahara, every time I would have seen a Rubi I'd kick myself in the rear and wonder why I didn't get the better model. I almost settled for a Willys, but then my wife reminded me of my snobbery and urged me to get the Rubi with leather and navigation. Actually, I really like the factory options of the Rubi and I have zero intentions (or the cash) of modding right now. But, hey, at least I'm willing to admit that I'm a poser.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stone Boy
So, I am trying to buy my first Jeep, but I keep going back and forth between models. I am leaning towards the Sport because of base cost. I am worried about sacrificing capability. What are the trade offs of the Sport vs. Rubicon?
I have a Sport and I still wrestle with this Rubi vs Sport question after a few years.

I found that my Sport's capabilities are beyond anything I have needed, by a lot. And especially since I upgraded with a number of new Rubi take-off components, wheels & tires, etc I purchased 'used' through this forum (at a fraction of new). Everyone is always upgrading something around here, no matter how good their ride is already and bargains abound.

Once you start though, you find there is no end, whichever you choose.

But I don't belong to the local trail club and if I did I would feel differently.

That said, if you decide to build a pseudo-Rubi (or something better) from a Sport, just be aware that when it comes to resale you still have a Sport. Buyers or dealers tend to discount do it yourself work and add ons a lot, if not entirely. A used Rubi is more desireable than a modded Sport from a resale perspective.

As a number of people have mentioned, it also depends where you live, and whether you are more concerned with venues like rock trails or sand beaches, and such.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2dr Rubi that I traded for a 4dr Willys. For my needs it worked out perfect. Just depends on what you need.

Quick Reply: Too Many Choices - Pros & Cons