Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing behind a RV

Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing behind a RV

I am going to tow my 08 Rubicon unlimited behind my motorhome and have a couple of questions. First the manual says that I shouldn't lift the Jeep if I am going to tow behind my coach. I did it without any problems with my old TJ. Why not the Jk. I would like to do a 3 inch Black Diamond lift and run 35 inch tires. Second question....Does anybody know how to shut off the My-Gig so it won't run the battery down when the Jeep is being towed? The key has to be in the accessory position in order for the steering wheel not to lock. I asked a factory tech, and he couldn't help me... Huh..... Nice to be part of this new forum..........
Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Forum member Clackey tows his JK with 3" lift and 35's behind his motorhome. i have never heard him write about any issues with it. Maybe he will chime in here.

I am not sure what to tell you about the MyGig issue.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:06 PM
dsr
JK Newbie

I disagree about the battery discharge rate. I tow and sometimes will go cross country so the jeep will be in the tow position hooked to the motorhome for 3-4 days in a row. There are small discharges with the key in the accessory position and believe it or not at about 12-18 hours the battery is so low that it won't turn over the engine. I have a factory add on remote starter but otherwise the jeep is bone stock. I have installed a NAPA battery disconnect that takes all of 2 seconds to disconnect the battery when I intend on towing for a long while. I still don't understand where all the electrons are going. It seems that the battery should last alot longer than it does. Most of year it is a daily driver and I have never had a starting or electrical issue. Hope that helps. And yes I have a one way diode istalled in the motorhome wiring that drives the jeep lights so power can't go back to the motorhome while it is hooked up.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 AM
dsr
JK Newbie

I guess disagree was the wrong word. I am suprised that mine drains the battery that fast. I was just trying to warn fellow RV ers to be careful. I ended up with a dead battery and no way to jump it. Also the "jumper" battery packs like you can buy at Sears will not help you if your battery is completely dead. Those packs (for saftey reasons) will not deliver electrons to said battery in trouble unless it senses a voltage drop. It is hard to have a voltage drop in a dead battery so it won't jump it. You will need an old fashion battery charger with a fast charge and boost feature.

Last edited by dsr; 11-23-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

I've been pulling the IOD fuse when towing behind the RV. Its pretty fast to pull the fuse, and shuts off the power to the mygig and dashboard lights. The fuse even has a handy puller permanently attached to it to make it easy to pull.

Just the same, does anybody know of a fuse replacement kit that is designed to replace the IOD fuse with a dashboard switch? That would save opening the hood and pulling the fuse. I suppose it wouldnt be too hard to make one, but if there is something already out there it would be easier.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
Forum member Clackey tows his JK with 3" lift and 35's behind his motorhome. i have never heard him write about any issues with it. Maybe he will chime in here.

I am not sure what to tell you about the MyGig issue.

I do. I have not had an issue with my battery. (I do not have mygig) The furthest I have towed is from Ontario to Tahoe for about 12 hours straight. My set up uses the round 7 prong adapter. I mounted a female plug under the hood on the drivers side all the way up to the firewall. I have not done it yet but I do plan on using one of the extra connections to run a 12 volt hot lead off the rv to my battery. I would post a pic but I'm in Utah and my Jk is in California. Maybe when I get home.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disable Steering Wheel Lock?

We full time in the RV and opening the hood, removing the fuse box lid and pulling the fuse gets old very quickly.

Has anyone figured out how to permanently disable the steering wheel lock? that way, you would be able to flat tow without even using the key (Grand Cherokees can be towed w/o a key). There has to be a way to remove the locking pin or epoxy it in place...
Old 11-26-2007, 08:10 AM
dsr
JK Newbie

It has been some time since I read the owners manual, but I believe that mine states that only manual transmissions have the steering lock. To my great suprise I found that my automatic had one.

I put in a fast screw diconnect from napa parts so I don't have to take out the fuse. I am always afraid I will bend a part of the fuse or even loose it. It takes about one turn of this screw and no power.

Nota4re thanks for doing the leg work. I am not suprised by the results but it is really nice to have then confirmed.

I am going to have to sell my Jeep because my wife wants a divorce. After 17 years, I am being blamed for everything. Yada Yada yada. It is a Sahara(hard and soft) and has the hidden roadmaster bracket and is ready to pull 9,000 miles. Any idea what it is worth.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

I have a buddy that is a locksmith and he told me it is easy to remove the steering lock. I will get started on this. For now, I just pull the fuse and go on since I only tow my jeep for Vacations. I just returned from a 3000 mile trip and the battery was never low. longest day was 14 hours. Pulled great.

On a side note, does anybody else notice a slight burning rubber smell after a long tow? The smell does not start until I restart the jeep and drive it around. I don't smell it at all after I tow and get in, only when I restart it for the first time again after the towing. It only lasts for that day and then goes away.
I am definatly towing correctly acording to the manual. TC in neutral and tranny in gear, brake off. I do use a Aux brake device like the brake buddy. Its on low for emergency stops etc... Any thoughts? Brakes are not hot when I get there. Everything looks and drives fine but that smell bugs me. What am I missing.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to worry. Burning rubber smell is very common no matter what vehicle you are towing. I too was concerned first couple of times it happened to me. best explanation i have heard is that fubber from tires scrubbing on roadway gets up on exhaust system and then burns off when you run the car. it took me a while but i am no longer concerned about smell.

Quick Reply: Towing behind a RV