Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JK Newbie

Default Towing a boat with a 2-door JK

I have a 17-foot G3 boat with a 50hp Yamaha.... It's a pretty light package, but from what I gather the 2-door is only rated to tow 1000 pounds. I went to a dealer the other day and they are putting a class 4 hitch on all of there JK's 2 and 4-door. The salesman at the dealer stated the towing capacity is 3000/3500 2/4-door. Does anyone here have experience towing a boat with a 2-door JK? Does it handle the load?

Max towing load for a 2-door JK is 2000 pounds. I believe that requires at least a 3.73 axle ratio, plus the factory tow package.

Max for a 4-door is 3500 pounds.

See it here for the 2-door: http://www.jeep.com/en/2010/wrangler/capability/towing/

Here for the 4-door: http://www.jeep.com/en/2010/wrangler...bility/towing/

The main reason that the 2-door has only a 2000 pound load limit is because of the short wheelbase. On a short wheelbase vehicle, the trailer can "wag the dog" so to speak, and you can loose vehicle control easily with an over 2000 pound trailer.

Mabar

Quote Originally Posted by mhcurlee View Post
    I have a 17-foot G3 boat with a 50hp Yamaha.... It's a pretty light package, but from what I gather the 2-door is only rated to tow 1000 pounds. I went to a dealer the other day and they are putting a class 4 hitch on all of there JK's 2 and 4-door. The salesman at the dealer stated the towing capacity is 3000/3500 2/4-door. Does anyone here have experience towing a boat with a 2-door JK? Does it handle the load?
    That salesman needs to be educated on the capacities.

There is more to it than just 2dr/4dr.

3.21 gears limits both to 1,000 pounds.
    3.73 yields 2,000 2dr/3,500 4dr.
    4.10 is the same as 3.73.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

I pull my fx 16 SeaRay with 175 hp jet drive. my 2 dr has 4:88 35s and auto. tows it fine probably close to 1500 lbs.
    [CENTER]2007 Black Sahara Dual Tops
    4" Teraflex lift
    35/1250 17 Toyos / American Eagle wheels
    custom shafts/4:88 gears
    ARB o/b air/ ARB lockers F/R
    8000# x2o winch/2 chrome fire extinguiser /Cobra cb
    TERA FLEX front bumper/HELLA 700s
    OR -FAB Tire/gas rack/ tail light guards
    kick-ass BONESLIDDER ROCK SLIDERS
    [[CENTER]
    OTHER TOYS
    PORSCHE CAYENNE S
    FORD F 350 DUALLY
    SEARAY SUNDANCER
    SEARAY F16 JET BOAT
    HONDA ATV
    2013 Kawasaki Teryx sidexside

I have pulled a 14ft utility trailer well over the rated 2000 pounds. I have the stock 3.73's and no tow package. I was incredibly please with how well it pulled the trailer. You shouldn't have a problem. If your springs sag too much for your liking just look in the For Sale/Freebie section and pick up a set of springs for a Jeep with a tow package. I just got me a set for $40.....
    2009 2 Door X

| D30 Aussie Locker | EVO Sleeves | EVO Gussets | EVO Rockstars | Rubi Rails | 35x12.5x17 BFG KM2 | Spidertrax Wheel Spacers | CoverKing Seat Covers | Woods SS Relocation | Custom Stinger Front Bumper | Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper | Solid Diff Covers | 4 Door Rubi Lift | Rough Country 9500lb Winch| aFE CAI |

I wheel with Top Rock Jeep Club

I pull my 18' aluminum Valco Bayrunner w/ 40 hp Johnson with my 2dr auto, and it does a GREAT job. No problems at all....
    07' Silver X 2dr Softop (dd)
    16x8" 4.5" bs Eagle Alloys 140 / Super Fin/Blk trim
    33" Bridgestone "Revo" Dueler AT
    Stock Sahara Running boards
    I installed OEM cruise/speed control
    Airaid CAI
    Superchips Flashpaq
    Light Force 240 "Blitz" Aux lights

Waiting to install "WARN CE M8000" winch
    Can't decide on....
    Bumper and Lift.

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery...00&ppuser=1848

www.northridge4x4.com

Default Possible to upgrade 2DR?

I understand that the stock 2Dr JK can only pull 2000lbs, however, is this stated because the stock hitch is a Class 1 - which can only hold 2000lbs? I see on multiple sites that they offer class 2 and class 3 hitches to upgrade- but what is the point of doing that if it can only handle 2000lbs?

Is it safe to throw a Class 2 or 3 on a 2Dr? Or is it pointless if the jeep can only handle 2000lbs?
    DKJEEP17
    :2008 Black JK X - 6 Speed
    :KC SlimLite Fog's
    :Front/Rear Grab Handles
    :Cobra 38WXST CB
    :Roll Bar Extinguisher
    :Polk/Kenwood/JL Stereo
    :Misc. Accessories/Misc. Mods
    :Mopar Tow Hooks
    :O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by DKJeep17 View Post
    I understand that the stock 2Dr JK can only pull 2000lbs, however, is this stated because the stock hitch is a Class 1 - which can only hold 2000lbs? I see on multiple sites that they offer class 2 and class 3 hitches to upgrade- but what is the point of doing that if it can only handle 2000lbs?

Is it safe to throw a Class 2 or 3 on a 2Dr? Or is it pointless if the jeep can only handle 2000lbs?
    A higher rated hitch will not increase the tow rating in the case of the JK.
    If the JK has 3.21 gears, the rating is lowered to 1,000 lbs. (That includes the 4dr, too.)
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

To the OP, you have a very light rig. I pull my 19' whaler which has an internal 62 gallon tank and 150hp outboard with zero difficulty. I do have a RUBI ,so it has 4.10 gears to help with engine lugging on the interstate and a factory tow package. I imagine you will be fine pulling your rig at normal speeds for short to moderate distances and should be able to come to a stop (which is just as important) with no dangerous issues.

My 2 dr is very stabile pulling my little 19 even in very heavy winds and wet conditions on the interstate. Then again, I don't try and set land speed records when pulling a trailer.

its not the pulling thats the problem, as much as it would be the stopping.
    Alpha Expedition Off Road And Exploration Equipment

11. Default JK-Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast