Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

towing a zj with a jk???

Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing a zj with a jk???

I live in Memphis and I am going to buy a zj in Nashville, which is about 250 miles. I need to pull it back with a car dolly. Is that a crazy notion to do with a jk? 250 miles on interstate? I tried to find curb weight breakdowns on the zj and for a '93, 6cyl 4wd it's almost 3600#. this one is lifted and has 34" swampers so it's probably heavier...but the fenders have been cut up and the carpet is out so that may offset that???

I've got a 2007 jk unlimited with 2.5" lift on 35's. it has the tow package, which for 2007's means it has 4.10 gears. automatic. window sticker said 3500# max towing. this would be a little past that it seems.

What are people's thoughts? Anyone done anythign similar in a jk? Would anyone absolutely not do it?

also, it's $44/day to rent a car dolly and it's $70 at harbor freight for a tow bar. anyone have experience pulling a vehicle with a tow bar? pro's/con's/fears?

Last edited by jrhouse24; 09-28-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

When we were building our house in the mountains, I had a trailer I would pull construction materials in w/ my jeep (auto, 35's, 5.13's) and it did fine. I just went easy on the hills (which here are BIG) so I think you'll be fine there. Just a thought.....
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

stock ZJ's are closer to 4,000lbs. A few pounds for carpet and some minor sheet metal won't make up for the extra weight of tires (and possible wheels if they are steel).
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

my thought was with a tow bar there's no real tongue weight like with a trailer that is being held up by the hitch. with all 4 wheels of the zj on the ground it's completely stable. all the jeep is doing then is pulling it's weight. i guess that is still the same thing really though lol
Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

My ZJ with factory skid plates, 31" tires, 4" lift, ARB bull bar and winch with a Don-a-vee rear tire carrier weighed 4,700lbs. Add me in it and it was about 4,950lbs. Full tank of gas and we're talking 5,000lbs.

My WJ weighed 5,000lbs. It was similarly equiped and had rock rails....I'd almost check into a one-way airline ticket.

Your gas mileage *MIGHT* be 10mpg, with a tail wind while towing that much. In the ZJ you'll get at least 16mpg or better.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Couple thoughts:
  • A car dolly usually means two wheels up and two on the ground. That is a no-no with a JK transfer case. Maybe the ZJ has a case that will tolerate two on the ground, but you'd want to be sure.
  • All four wheels could be off the ground with a trailer, but that would add around 1500 pounds to your tow which is overweight already.
  • The ZJ should tow with 4 wheels down no problem. Its a bit heavy for the JKU but workable if you take it easy. Be sure to have working tail lights on the ZJ so you don't hafta answer any questions.
  • If this is a drivable ZJ I'd find a ride there and drive it home.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are renting a dolly look in to renting a pickup to pull it with, I did this when I bought my XJ this spring and it wasn't that much more expensive. If you do tow with a dolly pull the rear driveshaft so you don't screw up the transfer case. Also be aware that the tie down straps on most of the dollys are made for car tires, they barely fit over the 29" tires on the XJ, so have some additional straps to secure it.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Use the ZJ to pull the JK

Quick Reply: towing a zj with a jk???