Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trektop question

Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trektop question

I've been considering purchasing a Trektop & would like to know the good or bad of these tops. My Jeep is a toy & don't have to go on a Daily basis. My understanding is this is both a bikini top & full top if you install the rear windows ?? I haven't seen one locally to look at. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I searched out my JKU 1.5 yrs ago, the only options I wanted were auto and hard top. Earlier this year, we realized if we wanted to be topless, we needed a soft top (or pulley system for raising the roof - and I figured the money better spent towards a soft top). I went with the NX top based on 1.price 2.ease of use/modularity & 3.looks. After having it on since June, I absolutely love the way it looks! As you'll see on other posts, it can be a little difficult to put on the first time, but I'm sure it was much easier than a regular soft top. And the modularity is awesome. It has a sunrider opening over the front seats that takes seconds to open/close. Then you can relatively easily zip off the rear three windows, so you're left with a bikini top (current set up, and most common for us). And if you make a little bigger committment, you can pull the entire top (I did have to refer to the directions when I put it back on after a couple of months). With the bikini set-up and full doors, I can hardly tell a difference. It was about 106 degrees today, and I did notice some heat behind me, but with the A/C blasting, my drive was a joy. And that's wearing a suit for work.

Regarding negatives of the top, I don't believe they are anything that one wouldn't experience with a factory-style soft top. I had a 2007 2-door with the soft top, and I like the NX MUCH better. One thing I do not like is attaching/removing the bar on the bottom of the rear window. It can be a real pain in the arse to remove it or put it back on, and this factors into my decision to leave the rear windows off. To me, it's a win-win. I get a partial open-top feeling (fold back sunrider for even more!), and I don't have to deal with that damn bar! Keep in mind, on my '07 soft top, I absolutely never attached the bar, because it would not stay on anyways. The only other "negative" is the form-over-function design which looks great (IMO), but trades some interior space. We camp a lot as a family, and I work around it. Which means I use my hitch basket or utility trailer more often!

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'd like some pictures, so I will get some posted up within a day or so.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

One more note about NX vs. stock-style soft top. In order to go topless, you need to remove the rear three windows with both. With a factory-style top, you can then fold it down, and it sits on the back of the Jeep like a normal convertible top. You can't just "fold back" the NX. After you remove the windows and open the sunrider, from there, you need to remove the top completely. Not a huge issue, but you need to plan accordingly. I want to try to have full disclosure! If anything else comes to me, I'll put it up here.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jared937
When I searched out my JKU 1.5 yrs ago, the only options I wanted were auto and hard top. Earlier this year, we realized if we wanted to be topless, we needed a soft top (or pulley system for raising the roof - and I figured the money better spent towards a soft top). I went with the NX top based on 1.price 2.ease of use/modularity & 3.looks. After having it on since June, I absolutely love the way it looks! As you'll see on other posts, it can be a little difficult to put on the first time, but I'm sure it was much easier than a regular soft top. And the modularity is awesome. It has a sunrider opening over the front seats that takes seconds to open/close. Then you can relatively easily zip off the rear three windows, so you're left with a bikini top (current set up, and most common for us). And if you make a little bigger committment, you can pull the entire top (I did have to refer to the directions when I put it back on after a couple of months). With the bikini set-up and full doors, I can hardly tell a difference. It was about 106 degrees today, and I did notice some heat behind me, but with the A/C blasting, my drive was a joy. And that's wearing a suit for work.

Regarding negatives of the top, I don't believe they are anything that one wouldn't experience with a factory-style soft top. I had a 2007 2-door with the soft top, and I like the NX MUCH better. One thing I do not like is attaching/removing the bar on the bottom of the rear window. It can be a real pain in the arse to remove it or put it back on, and this factors into my decision to leave the rear windows off. To me, it's a win-win. I get a partial open-top feeling (fold back sunrider for even more!), and I don't have to deal with that damn bar! Keep in mind, on my '07 soft top, I absolutely never attached the bar, because it would not stay on anyways. The only other "negative" is the form-over-function design which looks great (IMO), but trades some interior space. We camp a lot as a family, and I work around it. Which means I use my hitch basket or utility trailer more often!

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'd like some pictures, so I will get some posted up within a day or so.
Thank you. The pluses seem to out weigh the negatives. I like the same things about a top that you seem to. Very helpful, again, thanks.

Quick Reply: Trektop question