Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Two or Four Doors. Which is better?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This comes down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong nor should there ever be. I don't have kids and definitely prefer the 2 door. The size is part of what makes it a Jeep. I had a Dodge Ram Quad cab prior to owning my first Jeep and it could be a beast to park. Didn't fit in some garages in Boston and New York which put me in some awkward and embarrassing situations. People behind you are always sooooo patient (sarcasm). 90% of the time the back seat is removed from my Jeep providing plenty of storage. If I need to haul things I have an 8' trailer. The Jeep is small, easy to maneuver, park, etc and I love the look. I get why the 4 door was made though. It makes sense for a lot of people. The backseat of the 2 door is not super practical and if you have a family then a 4 door just makes more sense.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have both a 4DR JKU as well as a 2DR TJ and both have their pros and cons. I love the challenge of the shorter wheel base and how it forces us to take different lines and really pay attention. The 4DR is fun and a better choice when we do overlanding. Also, it's more enjoyable for the drive to and from the trails. If we could only have one jeep it'd be the 4DR JKU because we like to drive to the trails. If we had a pure trailer queen and we could only have one we'd go with the 2DR. Just my
Old 12-24-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me I like the look of the two door because Wrangler have always been two door and I personally think they are proportioned better. But in the end it's all about preference. Right now the two door is better for me because I'm not married nor do I have any kids so the small back seat is not a problem for me. But in the future I were to have kids I would like to own the four door.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

So I'm going to get in on this thread as I have some questions and figure I can ask them here instead of creating a new thread. I currently have 14 JK sport 6 speed with 3.22 gears and 32 inch tires. I've towed a light weight speed boat and found no problem but wasn't great with hills. Eventually I want to drive across Canada and the US and would be looking at towing a 2600lb trailer (plus equipment). I'm thinking I'd need a different Jeep to tow? I go off-road often so was thinking about the rubicon as I think I would benefit from the lockers and the 4.10 gears (at least I think that's what they come with...?) I want good towing capacity and good off road and crawling capabilities. That said, would a rubicon suit these needs ( is likely keep it stock for the trip and add lift, wheels tires, fenders, bumpers etc after road trip is over). Also torn as to whether or not a JKU Rubicon would be a better option than the 2 door. I love the 2 door for its off road tight navigation capabilities and compactness. Is a 4 door just as good? I have 1 dog and will be getting another in the near future, so the extra room may be good...and better for towing capacity ?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jeepgirljones; 12-26-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to expand your family in the future and plan on the next Jeep being a 6+ year Jeep I say go 4Door rubicon. Then at the dealer before you buy tell them you will only buy it if they re-gear to 4.88 don't pay over 1500 for the upgrade. Keep it stock if you want and enjoy your trips. Great part about 4.88 if you decide to go to 35's you will still be able to pull a trailer and have low crawl speed capabilities. You will find you won't be needing the lockers as much as you think once you get them.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default Both

One of each is ideal.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
If your going to expand your family in the future and plan on the next Jeep being a 6+ year Jeep I say go 4Door rubicon. Then at the dealer before you buy tell them you will only buy it if they re-gear to 4.88 don't pay over 1500 for the upgrade. Keep it stock if you want and enjoy your trips. Great part about 4.88 if you decide to go to 35's you will still be able to pull a trailer and have low crawl speed capabilities. You will find you won't be needing the lockers as much as you think once you get them.
Re-read the gearing ratio chart and now it seems like 4.88 are the way to go. Thanks, I think I'm more into the 4 door now as the price difference isn't that much compared to how much extra room you get. I think I'd have to order one so want to make sure I order it right as my 14JK I got super excited and just bought the one that was the pretty colour. This time, doing it right.

Now, to decide.... stick with 6 speed or switch to an auto :( only reason for this would be because I have wrist and shoulder issues and get tendinitis in my shifting hand... would be more comfortable, but I think I prefer the 6speed... any reasons why an auto would be better ? Someone told me more people wheel autos now (the sales man) but I don't see why?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BajaBigGirl
One of each is ideal.
Maybe I can find a husband and then have one of both 😜
Old 12-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepgirljones
Someone told me more people wheel autos now (the sales man) but I don't see why?
They don't stall out on the rocks and people feel they have more 'control'.....I prefer the simplicity and reliability of the 6 speed.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by catahoula
The iconic 2 door of course. When I want a lifted station wagon I might get a 4 door. I also find it hilarious when some one gets a 4 door they haul their spare inside.
I use to wonder why people had their spare inside of their Jeep as well. Come to find out, if you try putting anything above a 33" tire on the stock tire carrier, it will bend the rear door. So that is why people do that until they can get a new rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Two or Four Doors. Which is better?