Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wheel spacers

Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running wheel adapters for roughly two summers now on my stock wheels and switch over to my aftermarket wheels in the fall/winter. I have had absolutely zero issues with mine. When I mount them up I use loctite on the original studs. But when you first mount them ensure you remove the retaining clips from the factory studs first before mounting.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RavenZ33
I've been running wheel adapters for roughly two summers now on my stock wheels and switch over to my aftermarket wheels in the fall/winter. I have had absolutely zero issues with mine. When I mount them up I use loctite on the original studs. But when you first mount them ensure you remove the retaining clips from the factory studs first before mounting.
Yep, I ran adapters on my FJ for years. I know several folks who've used them and I've never heard of anyone actually having an issue with adapters. All I ever hear (well read actually) are stories of hearsay and hypotheticals. There may be a few incidents of improper installation, but I really can't see how these could cause any issues if they're installed IAW the instructions. It's just like most everything else, people make statements based on misinformation and a lack of real world experience. Just buy a set of Spidertrax, follow the instructions and go have a good time.

Last edited by BAJA TYM; 07-27-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people get caught up in the name to much. Most people on here mean spacers because your spacing the rim out further to avoid rubbing.

I guess you could say I had both at one point.
I had 1.5inch spacers but they were made to fit CJ rims that were 5.5inch studs.
5"x5-5.5"x5.

Anyways i didn't trust the aluminum studs that came with them so swapped them out with steel oned.

Last edited by tribulation138; 07-30-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't adapters change the bolt pattern and spacers just move the wheel out?

Either way, My local Discount Tire just told me they CAN work on your rig if it has high quality bolt on spacers/adapters like Spidertrax. They won't touch your veh if it has stud spacers (washer type on each stud).

He further stated they must already be installed. They won't install for you.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

they use spidertrax spacers in KOH that should tell you something. I have been running Spidertrax for 3 years and 60000 miles and never once had a single lug nut be loose when rechecking them per spidertrax's instructions.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KOH? Please educate. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fooddude
KOH? Please educate. Thanks.
king of hammers ultra 4 race
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're talking wheel adapters. I put 1.25" wide ones on the Wife's, but I won't let anyone touch the wheels. I'll do my own maintenance and rotation of tires to be certain they are handled properly.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX
Don't adapters change the bolt pattern and spacers just move the wheel out?
Yes, adapters can change the bolt pattern, but also come in identical patterns that creat a wider stance. As to spacers, they're a lot like shims. They push the wheels out, and in consequence consume lug length... Making them very dangerous.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tribulation138
I think people get caught up in the name to much. Most people on here mean spacers because your spacing the rim out further to avoid rubbing.
I agree 100%. The proper nomenclature becomes important with seeking clarity on tire installation policies. So if someone were to call a national tire chain and ask them if they'll install tires on vehicles equipped with spacers, they'll say "No, they're not safe." Just the same, if he/she call the same tire chain and ask them if they install tires on vehicles equipped with wheel adapters, they'll typically say "yes, buy were not permitted to install the adapters for you."

Quick Reply: wheel spacers