Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wheeling an expensive Jeep.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheeling an expensive Jeep.

So I have owned many XJ's and one TJ in my past, All 97-01 jeeps.

Having just bought a 15 JK , I already have a laundry list of all the parts armor lift tires etc I want to put on.

BUT, deep down inside me there is a part of me that feels guilty and nervous about going out on the trail with such an expensive vehicle. it hasn't stopped me, ive gone wheeling a few times in stock form, but I'm used to not really caring while wheeling. with XJs its kind of like whatever if it rolls, you can build a new one. Now with a JK its a serious amount of money that Id be dragging through the rocks, kinda scary

With the prices of some of these new JKs (40k and up ive seen) does anyone else feel , a little nervous wheeling ?

Also I called my insurance (geico) and they said no coverage offroad at all
Old 03-11-2017, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I still hate body damage no matter what Jeep I'm driving but you only live once, what are you going to do, go through life afraid to wheel it ? can't do that, just be careful and what ever happens happens. I do have what I thought was going to be a beater Jeep so I wouldn't have to care but after making it trail worthy, I have a ton of cash into that one also but, I never refinished the body, on purpose.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billetsilverjk

Having just bought a 15 JK , I already have a laundry list of all the parts armor lift tires etc I want to put on.

BUT, deep down inside me there is a part of me that feels guilty and nervous about going out on the trail with such an expensive vehicle. it hasn't stopped me, ive gone wheeling a few times in stock form, but I'm used to not really caring while wheeling. with XJs its kind of like whatever if it rolls, you can build a new one. Now with a JK its a serious amount of money that Id be dragging through the rocks, kinda scary

With the prices of some of these new JKs (40k and up ive seen) does anyone else feel , a little nervous wheeling ?

A new 2 door JK is way cheaper than a stock Can Am X3 Max RS side by side ($29,100 base). And is street legal. I paid $27,900 for my brand new 2014 JK Willys Wheeler, AC and Automatic.
https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side...-max-x-rs.html

My buddy in New Mexico says that many guys will have $40,000 and often much more in a side by side.... and destroy them.

I think the problem here is understanding the finances of others. While I consider having $50,000 in my JK a lot... I met a fellow last year that just bought a 2016 JKU Hard Rock that he had delivered to a Houston off-road shop for Ultimate 60 axles, coil overs and 40" tires. He said that he was about $75,000 into that JKU before he ever even drove it on a public road. He also bought a new Ram Cummins and a gooseneck trailer to haul it to Colorado where we met. So call it another $75,000 or so. So this fellow went and dumped $150,000 in one summer into his hobby jeep if you include that truck and trailer. I could never do this, but others can.

It's hard to wrap my mind around having the financial horsepower to blow $150,000 on a hobby in 3 months. And I bet that there are also people that can't understand spending $1,500 on a hobby.... to them that is a huge number. Then you look at a person with a $5,000,000 yacht... the $150,000 Jeep/Truck/Trailer is a poor guy to the yacht guy! Everything is relative.

My JK was bought with a similar mindset as buying an ATV. It was absolutely bought new off of the dealer floor to go get lifted, modified, and into the woods. But I'm a poor boy compared to many.... and I guess I am rich compared to others as well. It's all in the perspective.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am a total off-road newbie, so maybe you guys are already aware and I am just finding this out now...

Is this generally the case that once you venture off the pavement, you have no coverage? This makes no sense to me. Does ALL coverage go away? Or do portions of it go away? I can understand them not covering you, if you are participating in a race, but not just driving on a dirt road or a field.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahreno
I still hate body damage no matter what Jeep I'm driving but you only live once, what are you going to do, go through life afraid to wheel it ? can't do that, just be careful and what ever happens happens. I do have what I thought was going to be a beater Jeep so I wouldn't have to care but after making it trail worthy, I have a ton of cash into that one also but, I never refinished the body, on purpose.
This is true. I am used to having beaters like I said, maybe ill just have to treat this jeep a little nicer and think twice before doing certain things? Not used to that ...

Originally Posted by larry0071
A new 2 door JK is way cheaper than a stock Can Am X3 Max RS side by side ($29,100 base). And is street legal. I paid $27,900 for my brand new 2014 JK Willys Wheeler, AC and Automatic.
https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side...-max-x-rs.html

My buddy in New Mexico says that many guys will have $40,000 and often much more in a side by side.... and destroy them.

I think the problem here is understanding the finances of others. While I consider having $50,000 in my JK a lot... I met a fellow last year that just bought a 2016 JKU Hard Rock that he had delivered to a Houston off-road shop for Ultimate 60 axles, coil overs and 40" tires. He said that he was about $75,000 into that JKU before he ever even drove it on a public road. He also bought a new Ram Cummins and a gooseneck trailer to haul it to Colorado where we met. So call it another $75,000 or so. So this fellow went and dumped $150,000 in one summer into his hobby jeep if you include that truck and trailer. I could never do this, but others can.

It's hard to wrap my mind around having the financial horsepower to blow $150,000 on a hobby in 3 months. And I bet that there are also people that can't understand spending $1,500 on a hobby.... to them that is a huge number. Then you look at a person with a $5,000,000 yacht... the $150,000 Jeep/Truck/Trailer is a poor guy to the yacht guy! Everything is relative.

My JK was bought with a similar mindset as buying an ATV. It was absolutely bought new off of the dealer floor to go get lifted, modified, and into the woods. But I'm a poor boy compared to many.... and I guess I am rich compared to others as well. It's all in the perspective.
I agree, it is different for some people, some can justify spending that 150k. others (like me) could not afford that... maybe one day. Everyone has a different financial opinion on what they will spend to enjoy and make themselves happy if that makes sense. that's the way I look at it.

Originally Posted by Emoto
I am a total off-road newbie, so maybe you guys are already aware and I am just finding this out now...

Is this generally the case that once you venture off the pavement, you have no coverage? This makes no sense to me. Does ALL coverage go away? Or do portions of it go away? I can understand them not covering you, if you are participating in a race, but not just driving on a dirt road or a field.
I'm not exactly sure as to how it works either. I have heard some companys will cover you in the event of an accident off road. I have my jeep insured and registered in New York. Theyre pretty strict there, as in no coverage once your tires hit the dirt. BUT, now that I think about it, I wonder if one of the county roads we have, (rocky and 4wd only) would be covered.

But from my call with them, no coverage lol
Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not exactly sure as to how it works either. I have heard some companys will cover you in the event of an accident off road. I have my jeep insured and registered in New York. Theyre pretty strict there, as in no coverage once your tires hit the dirt. BUT, now that I think about it, I wonder if one of the county roads we have, (rocky and 4wd only) would be covered.

But from my call with them, no coverage lol
I am going to have to dig out my policy and read through the section on where I am covered. Those weasels want to get out of paying as often as possible (which I understand) but if they are insuring an on and offroad vehicle, then using it as designed/intended should be covered. But, what the heck do I know.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some cover off road incidents, some don't. Make sure you have it written down, don't go by what the agent tells you unless you can see it in the policy.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Some cover off road incidents, some don't. Make sure you have it written down, don't go by what the agent tells you unless you can see it in the policy.

I'm going to look into different insurance. I wonder if it varies state to state?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I had cheap insurance on my second Jeep, a '62 willys wagon. When I sold it and bought another one, a '61, I called them and added it. When I asked them about off road they freaked out and sent me a letter to discontinue the insurance. I them added it to my regular insurance co. and didn't say anything about off road. If I got a dent in it off road, which I have on my Rubicon, I'd fix it myself and not involve them anyway, it wasn't any ones fault but my own that I got a dent. They don't know that though. I imagine there are tons of people who would make a claim if they hit a rock against the door while 4 wheeling. I just don't feel the insurance co. should get involved for that, it was purely my fault.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the point of owing a JK, if you don't intend to take it off road? You might as well own a Prius

Quick Reply: Wheeling an expensive Jeep.