Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Yakima Spare Time Question

Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yakima Spare Time Question

I'm not sure if this is right forum to post this in, but I went mountain biking with a buddy of mine last week and I loaded both our bikes on my Yakima spare tire rack (each bike is no more than 35 pounds) When I pulled out of my driveway and started to drive down the block, I noticed the rack was wobbling with the weight of two bikes on it (the rack was properly secured to the spare tire mounting system). It was wobbling enough to make me feel uncomfortable having both bikes hanging off the tailgate so I took one bike off and threw it in the back. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience with this rack.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

I used to install racks (mainly roof) for a bike shop.... couple questions:

- are the bikes wobbling or the rack?
if rack make sure spare is inflated properly and rack is tight (both parts behind and in front of tire) and you have the correct extension piece.
if bikes, they will move a little, using a stretch cord to hold wheels from spinning and lower end of bike to car is a good idea. New design has the anti-sway seatpost brace, make sure it is snug. Also all tie down straps must be snug/tight.

- Check the actual weight of your bikes and check the instructions for the maximum recommended weight. If you don't have access to a good scale, then the difference of you holding a bike and a bathroom scale, then you only and the same scale will tell you the weight of that scale.

- Do you have the new design or an older one?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spicoli
I used to install racks (mainly roof) for a bike shop.... couple questions:

- are the bikes wobbling or the rack?
if rack make sure spare is inflated properly and rack is tight (both parts behind and in front of tire) and you have the correct extension piece.
if bikes, they will move a little, using a stretch cord to hold wheels from spinning and lower end of bike to car is a good idea. New design has the anti-sway seatpost brace, make sure it is snug. Also all tie down straps must be snug/tight.

- Check the actual weight of your bikes and check the instructions for the maximum recommended weight. If you don't have access to a good scale, then the difference of you holding a bike and a bathroom scale, then you only and the same scale will tell you the weight of that scale.

- Do you have the new design or an older one?
1. It appeared as if the entire rack was wobbling about the post that comes through the center hole of the wheel. I'm using the correct post.
-I'll check the spare pressure (my tire pressure sensor hasnt gone off though, and it usually does when the tire is about 5lbs under recommended)
-I have the new design with the anti-sway chainstraps, and the chainstraps are as tight as I can pull them.

2. The rack is rated for 2 bikes at a total combined weight of 70lbs
-I'll re-weigh my bike but my Yeti 575 equipped as it was ordered is around 30lbs and if anything it's a little lighter after swapping some things out.
-Maybe my buddies bike was a little heavier than I estimated.

Last edited by slinky; 10-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

I'm pretty sure I read in my Jeep user manual that the weight of the spare tire and wheel should not exceed 65lbs. I'm guessing the stock spare weighs 63lbs. I know companies sell racks for the spare like yours but I really don't think the tailgate is strong enough to support it. I'm a fairly new owner maybe some one else has more info.

Btw I have the Yakima hitch rack and it works but it touches the spare and you cant open the tailgate or hatch. I'm curious to would the best option for JK's and bikes is.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be OK with 2 heavy bikes on the spare if you are only travelling on road, but I wouldn't do it. Thats getting up toward the weight of a 37"+ tire, and people have had tailgate damage with those on stock carriers.

I'm running a Saris Thelma with 12" hitch extender. With a 35" tire on my stock carrier, I can open the tailgate just enough to get my bike pump out. I have seen some hitch racks that fold down or swing out, but all of those require you to mount your bike by the frame, which I cant' do.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
Btw I have the Yakima hitch rack and it works but it touches the spare and you cant open the tailgate or hatch. I'm curious to would the best option for JK's and bikes is.
I use this one from Saris (they make one for one and two bikes too). It locks into the hitch and doesn't move at all, even with four bikes. It also comes with an extender if you've got an oversize spare.

h ttp://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/vehicle-racks/hitch-racks/bike-porter-hitch-4-bike.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e_images.tpl&product_id=228&category_id=8
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info, I'll be up to four bikes in just a couple years. I might try an extender on my Yakima, even 3-4 inches would be better. If not its good to know there's others.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure the bolt that secures the extension piece is tight. Mine was doing the same thing and when I tightend that bolt up it took almost all of the movement out of the rack.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some blue locktight on the bolt holding the extension helps. Before I did so, mine would always seem to wiggle itself loose in just a few days of hitting normal road bumps.

Also, always remember to put the heaviest bike on the inside mount (the one closest to the spare tire).

Finally, whatever you do, NEVER go four-wheeling with bikes on the rack!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. For now, I think ill stick to one bike on the rack and a second in the back of the jeep.

Quick Reply: Yakima Spare Time Question