Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is your Jeep your commuter vehicle?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is your Jeep your commuter vehicle?

Do you daily drive/commute in your Jeep? How far every day?

My daily commute is going from 36 miles roundtrip to almost 80 miles roundtrip. Trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy a 2nd vehicle for the purpose of driving into the ground or if I should just put the miles on the Jeep. I may be able to carpool and reduce my mileage traveled by almost 50%. Even then, that's a lot of miles, just to get to/from work.

What would you do? What DO you do? What say you?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is my dd, drive about 80 miles round trip.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 50 mile round trip commute, I get by fine, i say car pool as often as you can.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily. Traffic in Seattle sucks too. Shifted my work schedule a couple hours from 9-5 back to 7-3 for summer.
Helps a bit.
Bought a dual sport motorcycle to keep the city miles on my Jeep down and to dodge Mariners traffic on game days.

Two vehicles come to mind if your looking for a cheap highway mile pounder. \

Late 80's early 90's Honda CRX HF, gets about 50 mpg on the highway, smallest car you've ever been in. Used, couple grand. Last forever.92 might have airbag.
80's Rabbit diesel 4 door hatchback, lots of room inside but it's dog, might hit 75 downhill tops. 300,000+ miles before rebuild. 60 MPG or better, no shit. beat the pants of a Prius in MPG.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

I have an inexpensive Japanese car that is much better suited to commuting. It is comfortable, reliable, very boring, and averages 30 mpg. It keeps the miles low on the JKUR and makes it even more fun when I occasionally take the Jeep out once or twice per week. The car is for DD, the Jeep is for FUN! Best of both worlds. If you have the means (and garage space) I highly recommend it.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just leased a fiat 500 for 149 a month for my commute. 40 mpg, and now use the jk for weekends!!! Now I will last forever.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by runforestrun
I just leased a fiat 500 for 149 a month for my commute. 40 mpg, and now use the jk for weekends!!! Now I will last forever.
Sounds like a good deal, but the mileage limits and overage charges would likely kill it for me.

Gas mileage is important, but comfort is a close 2nd. I was looking at off-lease Malibus, Taurus', Impalas, and even some ex-rental Crown Vics.

The idea of owning a Crown Vic was most entertaining. V8 power, mid-20's on the freeway, rides like a sofa, can easily be found in white color, and I bet I could find a police style push-bar from an old CVPI to bolt to the front.... It's illegal to impersonate an officer. But it's not illegal to own a white Crown Vic with a push bar and a hair dryer mounted to the dashboard....
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dd mine.. About 50 miles round trip.. Sure its not that great on gas but I at least enjoy driving to and from work.. I've considered buying something else but I don't think I'd drive it..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a company car so my Jeep is my After work and Weekend toy

I also have a thread on this with a poll
Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I have a company car so my Jeep is my After work and Weekend toy

I also have a thread on this with a poll
X2.........

Quick Reply: Is your Jeep your commuter vehicle?